Abandoned Fish pond: Minimum emergency aeration needs?

Reaction score
Hope you can help save a dozen goldfish of 10" to 15" in length in a pond of maybe 300 gallons. (The pond is twelve inches deep around the scalloped edges, probably deeper in the center.)

A nearby home has been foreclosed and another neighbor mentioned to us the fish pond was left behind. Don't know how long it's been unattended but when we stopped by today to feed the fish, the fish were attempting to suck oxygen from the top of the water, and one was dead. They wouldn't eat the fresh pellet food we'd just bought.

So we decided they must be oxygen-starved and went home for our air compressor. We ran the compressor for 20 minutes and the fish seemed a bit happier. They still wouldn't eat.

What is the minimum we need to run the compressor to keep these fish alive? Obviously we work full time and it's impossible to leave our expensive compressor there unattended. Can they go several days at a time and still be healthy? Is 10 minutes of compressor running time enough?

Thanks for your advice.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Go to lowes or harbor freight, or home depot and get a small fountain pump that pumps about 250-500 gph, place it near the top of the water line this will add a good bit of oxygen, cost, Maybe $20. Do not feed the pond, if they are that big they probably grew off of what landed in the pond, Then find a pet store or call the SPCA in your area and report it unless you want a pond, The air compressor is not going to help much and not for very long once it is shut off.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That air compressor is going to put petroleum distillates into the water and kill the fish. You need a diaphram air pump or a small water pump as suggested by fishin.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What part of maryland? if they look healthy maybe we could transplant them to my pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not too far, not good at distance here yet, maybe 45 minutes or so. I don't have a qt tank, if you would not mind take a good look at them, for white spots or anything.

I may be able to set up a tub of some sort for a short qt, mine are all born in this pond except for the first group put in.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
contact the real estate company that is handling the foreclosure and tell them about the pond and you will take the pond out and move the fish to your house .They will more than likely give you the go ahead .I have done 5 pond rescues in the last couple of months and the realtors are calling me now .Word got out and now I am the pond rescuer and can get some pretty neat stuff and I even found I made some money doing it by selling some of the fish to a pond dealer

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good luck addy you may end up being a pond rescuer too .Just buy a big tote with a lid and double the tote up or one of those garbage cans will work too .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh good I hope it works out so that addy can have them in her huge pond eventually. Nice sized fish too. Nice of you to do this addy
smileyfish.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
rte, could you make sure they are goldfish, i.e. don't have the barbells that koi have? How about a picture of my new possible pond buddies!

My honey says maybe 45 minutes from here.

Can't stand the thought of the poor things just dieing jw, and I still have water room.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes it does sound rather large for goldfish but if they are that will be a really nice deal. Will look real nice in your pond addy.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes it does sound rather large for goldfish but if they are that will be a really nice deal. Will look real nice in your pond addy.

Yep they sure will, just do not want any koi! lol love my goldies and shubies

Ask a Question