Abandoned Shopping Mall full of Koi (pics)

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/30/5856856/abandoned-mall-in-bangkok-has-been-overtaken-by-fish

fish-shopping-mall-3_verge_super_wide.jpg

There's something particularly eerie about an abandoned shopping mall. Perhaps it's the stark contrast from its intended purpose: to see such a sterile place once designed to entice throngs of shoppers into its doors, now so completely devoid of any human life, dilapidated and darkened with time. It's basically the very definition of post-apocalyptic. But in the case of the (now ironically named) New World shopping mall in Bangkok, Thailand, abandonment by humans doesn't equate with lifelessness. The mall, which reportedly caught fire in 1999 (rumored to be arson by a competitor), has since flooded with several feet of water and become a paradise for koi and catfish.

As seen in these photos from chef / travel writer Jesse Rockwell, the resulting "urban aquarium" is at once delightful and surreal. Rockwell writes on his travel, photography, and food blog A Taste of The Road that someone deliberately introduced the fish into the vacant mall, but that locals in Bangkok's old town "discourage people from visiting it." He says he had to wait for a policeman to leave before entering, which makes his resulting images all the more breathtaking.

fish-shopping-mall-1_verge_super_wide.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wow, wondering which mall it is (the name doesn't ring the bell) I'll have to tell my friends about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I manage an abandoned hotel with an outdoor swimming pool and have alway been tempted to throw some fish in it. So far I have been good but I think it would be fun to see the results. There is a ton of algae for them to live on but I'm not sure if someone ever buys it they would appreciate all the fish in the pool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Amazing I'm supprise that PFK hasnt reported on this yet they go for wierd and wonderful story's like this , looking at them they all seem to be hail and hearty , they have to have bred there to fill the place like that , I'll bet those catfish are big :eek:
I dont think they are koi though most probably tilapia's, however I didnt think they had that many colours as a species ?

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question