About pond liner

Reaction score
Hello everybody! just joined the pond community few minutes ago. I'm a newbie from the Philippines. I just dug my pond, 14' x 18' & 2' deep. I would like to ask you guys what kind of pond liner can i buy here in the Philippines or where can I buy them? I would also like to know about the pump that I should use, the appropriate wattage to use 'coz I'm planning to buy a submersible pump. Is using pond liner cheaper than concreting my pond?

Looking forward to hear from you guys. Have a nice day.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Howdyfish.gif
jhunexus
Most of us here use liners but some have concrete. I think the liner will be much easier to use.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and pond liners are cheaper and you don;t have to worry about sealing them like you do on concrete ones

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
A 45 mil liner is what you want
A pump with low wattage will save you $$$

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys for your warm welcome & response. I'll check the forum for more info's that you guys have posted. God bless...

Reaction score
hi! I just want to ask something about my pond. It's been set already, my problem is, after a few days, i find it hard to see my fish since the color changes into green. I think the green things are algae. I really hope that i can get rid of them. I have read topics regarding this & found out that I need aquatic plants to balance everything, so I bought some & put it in my pond. How long does it take to have a clear pond again? Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pond needs to cycle, the bacteria needs to grow in the filter to start competing with the algae. It takes a little time, sometimes up to 6 weeks. What kind of filter did you do?

Reaction score
Hey jhunexus
What kind of pond did you go with, a liner or cement?
Where in the Philippines are you located? I Know some waterways have lots of water hyacinth, they would help in your pond.
What kind of pump are you using? If any?

Mucky

Reaction score
Using plants to try and clear water is not an exact science. So no way to tell how long it would take, or if it would even work. With fish a UV filter is the only 100% effective way to clear green water. After that there are really an endless number of things you can try. Plants are just one choice.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I haave never used a uv and I don't have algae I do get some on the waterfall rocks but a quick spray of peroxide and it is gone .I have a concrete mixing tub with water hyacinth in it and lava rock on the bottom no filter no pump and the hyacinth have really grown like crazy in there and the water is crystal not sure why but it is .I tried growing the hyacith in my pond but they did not grow very good and even the plant rings did not help keep the koi at bay .So I took them out and put them in the concrete tub and they did great .I have never bought uv because they are not really that cheap and you have replace the bulb or they do not work .The bulbs are not cheap either .I am not sure why I have no algae maybe it is the aerartor and the lava rock filters .I really don't know .My pond is in sun and there are really to many fish in it .My first liner was 20 mil and never had a problem with it and the new liner is 45 mil and thats only because I got it cheap at an auction in a box of stuff That was marked pond stuff

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have never used a UV, have used plants to help with the algae. I get an algae outbreak in the early spring but once the plants start kicking in, the algae goes to a minimum and the plants take off. May be coincidence but my system works for me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never used a uv either, never had pea green water either, water is usually crystal clear. Plants and bog keep all algae in check.

Ask a Question