ABOUT SPLITTING OUTPUT FROM A PUMP and using it for something else..

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
BIRD BATH!

I'll see if I can explain and make sense.

I want to add a "bird bath" close to one edge of my pond. I've been disappointed that the pond doesn't attract birds, so thought I could make one spot more bird-friendly. I bought an 18" plant saucer and plan to attach brackets to my "turtle fence" to set it on. It will sit about 6 to10 inches above the water, be attached to the fence, and be close to a rock outcropping and some plants [for cover]. Picture the "bath" being fed with a slow "drip" of pond water, and the overflow from the bath, dripping back into the pond.

So my question is really about how to supply a continuous "drip" that will attract the birds as well as resupply/recycle the water. In the past, I've used micro-tubing and run this from the faucet to the bird bath(s). But was wondering if there was a way [instead of faucet water -- mainly 'cause we're having issues with leaking at the connections inside the wall] that I could redirect part of the water from a small pump and spitter that would be calm enough for this without causing any damage.

I know it's possible to split the water [and I have plenty of connectors, valves, and clamps] so it will go to 2 "features," but is there a way I can get it to just come out calmly, in drips for the bird bath?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
As koi pond ponderer said.

If the bird bath water input is above the other pump output all you have to do is put a tee in the line with the ball valve on the end of the tee going to the normal output. As you close the value an increased amount of water will be forced up to the bird bath. Not sure if you can get a drip but a small stream should be easy.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK. Kind of what I was thinking, but didn't know if the pressure would be too much for any tubings or valves on that small a level. I'll see if I can start to work on that. Should have enough different connectors & valves.

Thanks!

Ask a Question