About to dig my very first pond

Tiger1

Tiger1
Reaction score
Looking for a place to find info as I go. I'd like it to be around 9x11, 8-10,8-11. 3-3 1/2deep. . Purchased almost everything I need but the liner, as I don't know how the size will play out. Skippy filter parts ordered. Wish me luck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome to the group and in spirit we are there helping .geeze my back hurts already :cheerful:

Reaction score
As big and deep as you can get it. Koi can be addicting. They can put you in a trance. Good for meditation. Then when you find out there are at least 80 variety, you want to get one or two of everything, Kohaku, kujaku, showa, sanke, doistu, shisui, asagi, yamabuki, ogon, kikisui, matsuba, on and on.

You're gona need some room.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
LOL there are only 2 varieties of koi. Butterfly and not butterfly. The rest is just a paint job!

Seriously Tiger1. Think about going at least 6 inches above ground to keep runoff out of the pond. More if needed or if digging is difficult.

Koigal50 said:
As big and deep as you can get it. Koi can be addicting. They can put you in a trance. Good for meditation. Then when you find out there are at least 80 variety, you want to get one or two of everything, Kohaku, kujaku, showa, sanke, doistu, shisui, asagi, yamabuki, ogon, kikisui, matsuba, on and on.

You're gona need some room.

Reaction score
I started with mutts, then I went to Japanese koi - not show worthy but nice. Then I missed my butterflies and went back and got some mutts. But I think they are cleaner looking mutts. I've tried and tried liking the dark ones, but for me they are harder to see in the pond and start looking more and more like carp to me.

Hey Sissy, did I see you're from N.Y. or was that someone else? I'm originally from Bronx, NY. Been in tx 30 years now.

Tiger1

Tiger1
Reaction score
Thank you everybody! I am so excited. We have broke ground. It will end up being about 12x9 1/2. I will be going to at least 4 feet. And I am going to build up 6-12 inches.

Reaction score
Be careful how you build up also, you could end you looking like your pond needs to be topped off all the time. It has to do with where you place the skimmer I think????

I just remember, that's what happened to us the first attempted we made.

Enjoy, you're gona love it.

Tiger1

Tiger1
Reaction score
I will build up the liner up and over the first layer of border stones. And I won't have a skimmer.

Ask a Question