Above Ground Build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Finally it has begun. Planning on going 3 feet high. The pond will be 10 feet in length and 4 in width. Made with 4x4 treated wood. Will have two BOGS on this pond. Most likley be a all Wakins pond.

Alpine Eco-Sphere Pumps 1400GPH
Firestone EPDM Pond Liner 15x20 and Underlayment
I haven't decided on what BOG plants to get. My selection here in Northern California is a joke.
Only a few more boards to go.

frame.jpg

Reaction score
I think it's going to be very nice. How are you going to attach the liner on top
and I imagine you're planning along the edge?
Also, have you given any thought to moving that nice statuary next to the pond in the far left corner by the house?

I am just going to throw this out to you..Have you thought about adding a shelf (about 6" wide) along the entire
back and the two sides, using another piece of the treated wood inside...This shelf could be down about 6" to 8" deep...Then you could put rocks
and potted plants on the shelf.
The rocks would surround the potted plants...the idea is to not make
it look like a shelf. Then along the top trim it off with more rocks...There are also many plants that can be planted bare root and wedged between the rocks on the shelf.
It's just a thought from someone with a crazy imagination. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think it's going to be very nice. How are you going to attach the liner on top
and I imagine you're planning along the edge?
Also, have you given any thought to moving that nice statuary next to the pond in the far left corner by the house?

I am just going to throw this out to you..Have you thought about adding a shelf (about 6" wide) along the entire
back and the two sides, using another piece of the treated wood inside...This shelf could be down about 6" to 8" deep...Then you could put rocks
and potted plants on the shelf.
The rocks would surround the potted plants...the idea is to not make
it look like a shelf. Then along the top trim it off with more rocks...There are also many plants that can be planted bare root and wedged between the rocks on the shelf.
It's just a thought from someone with a crazy imagination. :)
I was planning just to nail the liner to the top and trim it with some boards. I like the idea of the shelf, I might do that.

Reaction score
I would not nail it...when you fill it the weight of the water will pull
the liner down some then you'll be in trouble...roll the excess liner under
and then think about placing some flat rocks on top with some round ones as well.

Another idea is just do a shelf along the back, and two corner shelves in each corner.
( instead of full shelves on each end -- I like that idea better)
The corner shelf could be a few inches lower than the back shelf. Cut the back end shelf shorter on each end so that you can get some nice plants and rocks on the corner shelf.

...in other words cut the back shelf say about 8" and the corner shelves can die underneith it.

I hope this is clear.

Reaction score
image.jpg
In the mean time...this is a drawing of how we did our shelves,
only most of our plants are planted bare root..But you can get the idea from this drawing.
Only you'll have a smaller wood shelve(s) with the liner over it.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Could nail the liner, just fill the pond with water first, so it is already pulled tight. It’s how I did the partially above ground pond I built recently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Finally finished the frame work of the pond. After thinking about the height, I decided to stop at 29 inches, which brings this to a 704 gallon pond according to a online calculator. Pump came in this week. Tomorrow I will start on the BOG. I think that I spent more time trying to get straight boards at Lowes than it took to assemble the frame.

pond2.jpg

pond3.jpg

pump.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I love it! That one light end is kinda distracting but I assume you're gonna fix that. :) Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love it! That one light end is kinda distracting but I assume you're gonna fix that. :) Looking forward to seeing this come together.
Yeah I will, it bugs me too. I put the wrong end facing out. I didn't notice it until I was a few levels up.

Ask a Question