above ground pond

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
as you may know i have a pond but its in my front garden .. i would really like another in my back garden maybe with some more fancey fish . would love it to be a raised pond so my disabled son could get to maybe touch the fish from his wheelchair and help to feed them .. i dont have a clue if i could build this but it would need to be as cheep as possible ... so i thought i would ask you guys for some ideas ?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I built my raised pond with blocks with rebar in it .it wasent bad but it wasent cheep..
If you have a place to find railroad ties you could pin them together,
and stack them up like a log cabin ..and put a liner in it.

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
I build a raise pond..it would be PERFECT for someone in a wheel chair probably.. its about 2 feet above the ground..

This is what i did

Build a square 2 foot tall holding wall out of field stone (for a natural look $600) then I filled it will fill dirt free from craigslist. we used mortar (cement) to hold it together better.

then i dug out the pond (free cause we did it) and then lined it with carpet remnants (free from a tag sale) and used the pond felt liner that the actual liner came with. Then put the liner in (about $150 i think) and then filled with water.

Not too bad.. the cost of rocks was expensive, but you could literally use anything.. Railroad ties would be AWESOME.. they are super heavy duty and make great holding walls.. you could also use landscape logs, bricks, or even cinder blocks and some cement.

here is a picture.
pond_022.jpg

and heres a link start to finish of the building of the pond"
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c391/lindsayanng/pond/

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
thank you very much for that linsay... i have been looking at your pond and was kinda hoping i could do something like that, yours is really good i may to save up a bit first so it might be a winter project .. when i get some spare time :icon_smile:

Reaction score
My pond is raised. I used a preformed fiberglass pond (over 800 gals) and cement blocks used to build walls. The blocks were left over from a 5ft x 110ft wall I built in my backyard. Next week I will try to post pictures of my pond.

Reaction score
I built my raised pond out of 4x4 wood and 3/4" plyboard. Basically built a box and put liner in it. Its really strong and holds up well. Another idea you can go to your local feed store or farm equipment place which sell plastic stock tanks that come in various sizes. I bought two 150 gallon stock tanks and put them on raised retaining wall blocks for my fry. This could work for you. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've got a 10x13 pond we built from 2x12s. It's on a slope so we only had to dig out part. It's 3 feet deep. The cost wasn't bad for the lumber and it was really easy to put together.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
mrsclem said:
Tried to send photo but file was too big. not sure how to shrink it.

Open your photo with an editor, most cameras have free software that includes an editor. Resize the photo 500 wide and save it. Then it will be small enough to allow it to post.

Ask a Question