Above ground pump not working

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have a my trap and 8000 gph pump above my pond and there is no suction.

We have bottom drain, a check valve (flap version) in the horizontal position, 45 elbow up, 3-4 feet, another 45 elbow, 1 foot to trap and pump...

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't know, but I'd suspect it has something to do with priming the pot. Hopefully others with external pumps, will chime in.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pumps are not very efficient at sucking water over a great distance. If this is not a self-priming pump you will have continuous problems with it losing it's prime. What is the make and model of the pump?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Due to my slope build I have my pump lines just right above water level, the pump body is slightly below the water level, the ground slopes away fast from the pond. I have had zero issues with priming. It worked above water level at my other pond, there I had a check valve and the pump was around 3 feet from the waters edge.

I have read that some will put their pump in a pump pit to lower it to at or below water level. Just make sure the pit does not fill with water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pumps are not very efficient at sucking water over a great distance. If this is not a self-priming pump you will have continuous problems with it losing it's prime. What is the make and model of the pump?

Hi, the pump is a Alpine PAL8000 8000GPH Cyclone Pump, 33'

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi, the pump is a Alpine PAL8000 8000GPH Cyclone Pump, 33'

This is not a self-priming pump. Maintaining water in the intake line is critical to the operation and life of this pump. If the pump is losing prime then air is being introduced somewhere along the intake line. This usually happens at a connection that is out of water. Water leakage may not be occurring.

Ask a Question