Above ground swimmimg pool as a pond?

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I've just purchased two 8.5 foot by 5.5 foot metal framed INTEX above ground swimming pools.
I found the pair on Ebay for $140. The type with the better, 3 ply liners for UV protection.
I'm planning on assembling them side by side with twin 750 GPH pumps powering overhead gravity filters full of plastic pot scrubbers and filter media with spray bar returns. Simple. Cheap.
I want to catch some more Midas Cichlids. And attempt to farm them.
I have a spot in Miami where I found very colorful Midas. And I'd like to attempt to breed some for sale.
My last attempt(s) were in a small 100 gallon aquarium. Indoors. These are just over 1,000 gallons each. And it'll be outdoors. I'm hoping that it will stop the fighting, with some sight barriers.
Fighting stopped my last attempts.
Pairs didn't work. Trios of one Male and two females worked better and this is what I want to place in each pool.
I'll photograph and post as the project comes along.
I suppose if this is a success, I'll be placing another, larger pool in the yard as a "grow out" area. But that's kinda jumping the gun at this point.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a tank of cichlids, years ago. They became settled enough I was always getting babies, they didn't always survive. The tank was around 175 gallons. They are neat fish.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I had a tank of cichlids, years ago. They became settled enough I was always getting babies, they didn't always survive. The tank was around 175 gallons. They are neat fish.
Some cichlids like Oscar's or Tilapia are semi social fish.
Others are more territorial.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I bought two BECKET 1,000GPH pumps with 2 foam pre filters on each.
I'm also making a canopy to cover the pool, pond area to keep out a lot of the UV as well as tree leaves. Harbor Freight has a 10x10' I can use. I'll swap out the canvas for fine mesh to stop it from blowing away in one of our violent thunderstorms.
I still need to buy the 2 totes that I'll be making filters out of and hoses, bulkhead fittings and filter material. Also material to build the shelves or brackets to place the tote/filters on at a level above the water line.
I also bought 4 solar powered air bubbler pumps. Where and when I use these are to be determined. But at $17 each, I couldn't resist them!
Maybe they'll go into my HURRICANE supplies box for when, NOT IF. The power goes out for a week or two.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some cichlids like Oscar's or Tilapia are semi social fish.
Others are more territorial.
Mine were territorial, each had a space in the tank. They were African cichlids, if I remember right. I was moving and had a heater failure, cooked the fish, broke my heart. I ended up giving the tank away. Took a crew of men to haul it out.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Mine were territorial, each had a space in the tank. They were African cichlids, if I remember right. I was moving and had a heater failure, cooked the fish, broke my heart. I ended up giving the tank away. Took a crew of men to haul it out.
African Cichlids are cool.
Colorful and easy to breed.
They are territorial. But don't usually actually harm each other.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Here are the pools.
Geez. They look just like pools.
I'll have to make a border out of wood or plants to go around them or the wife WILL NOT be pleased!

Attachments

• 20190327_133808.jpg
    20190327_133808.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 151
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m not familiar with cichlids, but will you be putting in plants? It might give babies a place to hide. I enjoyed having my “ plond “ pool pond, and mine was the big Intex above ground pool. If you put them in full sun, you’ll have to shade them or end up with pea soup water like I fought.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I’m not familiar with cichlids, but will you be putting in plants? It might give babies a place to hide. I enjoyed having my “ plond “ pool pond, and mine was the big Intex above ground pool. If you put them in full sun, you’ll have to shade them or end up with pea soup water like I fought.
Yep.
Pea soup itll be.
At least the algae should provide some UV protection

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You might try floating plants, large lillies, or a shade cloth. I had bad luck with the water hyacinth, my goldfish ate them. But you could get them there. Another option would be pool noodles tied in a circle with netting, then fill the netting with plants. I’ll be trying that for plant protection

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d love a tank like that, but full of female betta. I’m plotting a betta sorriety tank, with one stud male in there. Water will be too deep a moving to prevent bubble nesting, unless I decide to breed him at some point. But to add interest, I might add guppies. The fry would be betta food, but if I plant it thickly, some might survive!

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
You might try floating plants, large lillies, or a shade cloth. I had bad luck with the water hyacinth, my goldfish ate them. But you could get them there. Another option would be pool noodles tied in a circle with netting, then fill the netting with plants. I’ll be trying that for plant protection
I DO have access to some
I’d love a tank like that, but full of female betta. I’m plotting a betta sorriety tank, with one stud male in there. Water will be too deep a moving to prevent bubble nesting, unless I decide to breed him at some point. But to add interest, I might add guppies. The fry would be betta food, but if I plant it thickly, some might survive!
I tossed a few Beta babies into an old 180 gallon formed pond I had and wound up with several dozen nice Betas.
The males DO fight. But if the pond or aquarium is large enough and with enough hiding places, Beta colony is very possible.
Bubble nests were everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I DO have access to some

I tossed a few Beta babies into an old 180 gallon formed pond I had and wound up with several dozen nice Betas.
The males DO fight. But if the pond or aquarium is large enough and with enough hiding places, Beta colony is very possible.
Bubble nests were everywhere.
I’d do females, maybe one male.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice tank mine would take the sands, the gravel on the bottom and make nice little nests. Pick it up and spit it out until the nest was perfect.

Ask a Question