Above Ground Swimmming Pools

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
25 pluss years ago i lived in FourtLauderdale,,,we had a big above ground pool with a red oscar ,,goldfish and a small alligator...they grew fast,,would fight for food,,,we would catch lizards ,,and the oscar would snap them out of my hand...

Reaction score
This pool has been down a couple of years. Don't you think any clorine that might have gotten in the liner would be gone now? This would solve my snake in my pool problem too. The pool is 4x15 which I think would be plenty big enough. The only problem would be I want to add a waterfall or water wheel to my pond. I don't see how I can with it above ground. Plus all the plants I have around the out side of my pond. Oh me what to do.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the above ground pool conversion would help keep the herons, racoons, wrens etc... at bay. but never the less its still gonna look like a pool,not a pond.building a frame for a waterfall would not be all that much work. is the pool a rigid frame, pvc frame like an Intex pool, i know some fisheries use the "Intex" style pools for ponds,and nurseries for fry, Intex liners contain no algea, or fungicides. and that pretty mosaic print, or nice blue colored liner will not look so good after while.

Reaction score
It's got the blue liner. It's goining to look awful in about a month of heat and light I'm sure. So backit's to the drawing board on how to keep the snakes out of the pond. Someone told me moth balls would work I just have figured out how. I would have to put them around the out side edge of my yard so they would get in the pond when it rains and they dissolve.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I DIDNT MEAN TO SCARE YOU OFF your pool idea. If your willing to shade the pool, use some barley extract, and maybe use some pond dye, you may be able to keep the alge at a minimum. A 15' foot round pool @4' deep is close to 5000gallons. you could definately support quite a few fish in it. I was going to use my old intex pool 15'round x3'deep,but opted for an alittle more natural,pond look: but as a dedicated koi pond you could make it work real nice.

Reaction score
The pond I have is only about say 55 gallons, which isn't really big enough is it?
So I was thinking may be the above ground pool cut down to 3 ft instead of leaving at 4 ft. would be a better size. Plus it would be harder for the snakes to get in. I'm just not going to put my koi or any fish for that matter in something that they can eaten in. Not if I can help it. That's cruel. My deck is 4.5 feet from the ground so if I could design my Koi/garden pond at/around my deck it would even be better. I have an above ground pool that we use out away from my pond. I'm open for ideals.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
4' deep straight down walls,right off the bat, limits the preditors you may have a problem with right down to almost nil' my biggest hesitation would be strictly cosmetic. although,the height would allow easy concealment of filtration system,l would definatley build a nice size filter. and you could definately stock a nice amount of fish.

Reaction score
You said built my filter. Can I not buy one? I have no clue what I need or how to built a filter. I have a lot to learn.
The filter/fountain I have in the pond I just kept cleaned. Water changed if need be.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yes you can buy one but you build one that is far superior, for less money. look at the 55 gallon biofilter thread here on this forum. or many other sites on the net, google DIY BIO FILTERS you'll find at least 10 simple designs that are at least as good as store bought filters. some way better, for far less.

Ask a Question