Abrasions/scabs on goldfish

Reaction score
I have a goldfish with what looks like two scabs on its side. I wish i could take a pic for you but he is not very big and very very FAST, as a matter of fact i have been trying to net him today to get some macurichrome (i am sure i butchered the spelling of that!) on it.
I noticed the base of his top and bottom fins are now turning BLACK. Could this some type of fungus or internal bleeding?

I am going to get him quarantined but I have to go buy a small tank as I am in a new house and threw all of my stuff like that out when i moved thinking i'd not get anymore fish (what was i thinking!)

Just wondering if based on description anyone can give any advice. I am sure w/out pics its harder but no way can i get him still enough to photograph and he's so small my camera wont show enough detail for anyone.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Topper
A tip for you and everyone when posting.

I keep a window open to Google and when I find a word that I am not sure of, I start typing it into that window. It always comes up with the correct spelling for me.

Every so often, you might see that I edited a post that is not mine. It is me fixing typos and misspelled words for folks.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Topper
A tip for you and everyone when posting.

I keep a window open to Google and when I find a word that I am not sure of, I start typing it into that window. It always comes up with the correct spelling for me.

Every so often, you might see that I edited a post that is not mine. It is me fixing typos and misspelled words for folks.

I actually tried to go to google and find the spelling. I was so off that it didn't come up with any auto corrections for me and typically I'm a pretty good speller! LOL

I would like to add to my fish problem - the fish in question looks very happy otherwise. No lurking around, no staying at top or bottom. It is playful just like his pond mate and you'd never know anything was wrong by the way he swims around and eats just fine.

I am thinking he has just scraped the heck out of it on something but not sure why there is black on top and bottom fins. WOrries me that it might be internal bleeding or something.

In case anyone is wondering about water quality and thinking that might be the culprit, I wanted to add that I took a sample of water yesterday to petsmart and they tested it, and said the water was fine.

So i don't know what else it could be except banging into the filter box or a plant pot too hard. They are very active together.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My first line of defense, which works most of the time and never endangers my fish is salt. Depending on the condition I act accordingly. I have a link on my website to the Univ of Florida that has done studies on salt treatment.

Reaction score
hi all, i have recently noticed 3 black spots on my golden tench, its back around the dorsel area which has subsequently turned into 4 (1 slighly further back towards rear but still top of fish). being a tench i dont see it very often so cant tell any real change of behavour. can anybody give me advice and help?
thanks
daz

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Would if I could, just don't know a thing about tench. Good luck, though, there are other members here who have tench, perhaps they can help.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i googled it and theres quite a bit of info on there but try putting in black spots on goldfish ... it can be because your amonia is too high or ph ...or some kind of fish disease ... i think we need more info from you to be able to help

Reaction score
well whatever it is it is now spreading to the goldfish, have now seen a single spot on another im going to isolate the 2 fish untill i can find out whats wrong. is that a good idea so soon?
sorry, not very good at this, i may be panicking a bit to soon lol

Reaction score
The second type of black spot is a parasitic goldfish illness. Pond goldfish and those living in aquariums with snails are more at risk. Small black or brown spots about 2mm in diameter appear anywhere on the goldfish, including the mouth. They contain the larvae of parasitic flukes. Consult a pet shop or vet on the best anti-parasitic medicine for this goldfish illness if it becomes a problem.

i think i have found it, not only are they pond fish but also reside with four rather large apple snails, do i need a vet or has anyone else got a remedy for this situation? i have already taken into consideration the (get rid of the snails) comeback that im sure to get :/

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
it might not be disease thats why you should test your water can you get hold of a test kit ? because the signs are pretty much the same from what ive been reading im afraid im only guessing like you as i dont know enough about fish illness.. hopefully someone will jump in here and be able to help you more ... you could try your local pond supliers and see if they would be able to help you ... sorry i cant help you more

Reaction score
yes, i will pick up test kit tomorrow and while im there explain my dilema, turns out that ive extracted four fish, 2 because i can see the spots and 2 because i cant (1 is black and the other a shubunkin) come to think of it the black one turns gold as you work down to the belly, is that charateristic of a certain fish? willpost my test readings tomorrow an look out for some troublesome readings i think.
thank you for your help in pointing me in a dirction to work from and no doubt i will need assistance in the future :(

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you ae sure it is parasites, then there is a product that I keep on hand (I have never had to use it, thank God) called Pond Parasite Guard distributed by Junglelabs.com.
The manufacturer's phone number is: 1-800-357-7104
It is expensive but worth having around. One of the largest Koi importers from Japan recommended this to me for the medicine chest.

Reaction score
ok, tested the water and here are the results:
PH /7.6
KH /4'DH
GH/16'DH
NO2/0 mg/l
NO3/60 mg/l

so all in all its just my GH level little to high which leads me to the conclusion that the snails have given my fish blackspot parasites. if anybody has a different conclusion i would like to hear it before i return the poorly fish to the main pond and treat for parasites. money money money :)

Ask a Question