AC -> DC -> AC pond wiring - good idea or stupid?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi Popconojoe,

I used UF cable use to add some additional protection against the element since it is weather and wet rated.

The reason for DC pump is I wanted to build a dynamic dancing fountain and using DMX protocol. DC pump can adjust flow rate easily compare to AC. I plan to use 3 1500GPH pump to power 3 jets. Each pump can be controlled individually and coordinated to create special effects along with some LED. This way, I can do away with any solenoid valves and complex plumbing.

Sounds like a cool plan. When it's all done, post up a video. It certainly will be an interesting and unique build that I would like to see.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Hi Popconojoe,

I used UF cable use to add some additional protection against the element since it is weather and wet rated.

The reason for DC pump is I wanted to build a dynamic dancing fountain and using DMX protocol. DC pump can adjust flow rate easily compare to AC. I plan to use 3 1500GPH pump to power 3 jets. Each pump can be controlled individually and coordinated to create special effects along with some LED. This way, I can do away with any solenoid valves and complex plumbing.
Doing anything dynamic with an ac pump would be ... challenging. We have PLC controls but that would be rather costly. I am a little familiar with DMX mostly in lighting controls. Never thought of the motor control angle.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Doing anything dynamic with an ac pump would be ... challenging. We have PLC controls but that would be rather costly. I am a little familiar with DMX mostly in lighting controls. Never thought of the motor control angle.

I've done some research, and apparently, DMX is the tech used for most dynamic fountains.

Based on my current plan, I need to have some sort of weatherproof box to host some of these devices:

1. AC->DC power supplies
2. control board for DC pumps
3. control board for LED lights
4. wireless router & DMX converter

What is the best way to weatherproof these electronic devices? I imagine there are some types of junction box I can use but I don't know the proper term for it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
How big a home you need? What your going to want is a NEMA 3 enclosure. I like the Carlon brand myself for pvc boxes. They start at 4x4x4” and go way up. Easy to modify and drill. Completely weatherproof. Carlon is the name brand. From what I know DMX is kind of the new MIDI.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've been following this thread. Interesting project! The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is how large this water feature will be. With the water spraying up, the catch basin will need to be big enough to catch the water. You need to consider wind influencing the spray so you are not having a major water loss. Can't wait to see finished project!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

The fountain is about 10' in diameter. I can adjust the water flow to my pump so overspray is not that big of a problem except when I run the pump to the max when doing musical service.

Here is the preliminary result test of my fountain. It is still a work in progress (leveling the pump surface and positioning etc):

I'm currently in the process of adding two 15 amps circuit because I will be needing 2000 watt in my final setup with 15 pumps and 15 lights. My initial hookup was sharing an existing circuit but I expanded my scope a lot so 2x 15 amps are needed.

I'm also planning to build/buy a sand filter so I can keep the water clean. Right now I'm using a homemade skimmer to remove large debris.

The pumps are DC 24v brushless pumps. The control interface is DMX512 protocol through wireless sACN. I used Vixen program to synchronize the pump and music.

For electrical enclosure, I'm using a 102L Homedepot box as initial rain and debris barrier. It is half buried. I plan to add a roof so the water will run off and also as decoration. Inside the box, I will be using Noco battery box to store electronics. It is not watertight but it is weatherproof and super cheap for its size. I don't need water tight as I have an external box that provides another later of protection:

HM327BK-12V-Marine-RV-Battery-Box-Storage-Main.png

Thanks everyone especially Sparky for helping me with the project.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
My current skimmer is inside the fountain which makes maintenance hard.

I wonder if this design will work:

eMsQC1V.jpg

1. Water will be sucked up from the pond vertically
2. Water goes into a water tank with a filter net
3. Water tank is hooked to the intake of a water pump
4. Water will be pump out of the tank from the outlet of the pump back to the fountain

I understand if I have a water pipe connected directly to the pump inlet, I should be able to pump the water up vertically no problem. However, with a water tank in between, will this setup still work as long as I have water in the tank to prime the pump?
ymZADfI

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used a steel pipe with an end cap on it and ran wire under my drive way .It took a sledge hammer and 3 days and remember I am a 65 year old woman.I did it during the rainy season in the spring for my landscape lights which are ac .After that it was easy .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, I wanted an electrician to help me hook up the final leg of the two 15 amps circuit.

Scheduled a guy to come in last weekend. No Show at the job.

Scheduled another guy today. Again, no show.

What is going on with people not showing up to appointments.

I'm just going to do the install myself.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am lucky my son is an electrician and so is a friend of mine .I have the same problem here with contractors ,no show

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wow, I wanted an electrician to help me hook up the final leg of the two 15 amps circuit.

Scheduled a guy to come in last weekend. No Show at the job.

Scheduled another guy today. Again, no show.

What is going on with people not showing up to appointments.

I'm just going to do the install myself.

Yeah, that seems to be a problem I hear from a lot of people. Contractors that don't show up. What's wrong with these people? No pride or care about their reputations? When I was working I always felt it was my duty to be prompt and do an outstanding job at a reasonable price. There's no excuse. Especially now a days when everyone has a cell phone. One quick call is all it takes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Well.......in my trade everyone is swamped. That is not an excuse for a no show. People hate me now because I tell them no, can’t get there. Thing is, we are service based trade. Service means it could take the approximated hour or could take all day. We never know what we’re getting into. Non communication however is not acceptable. Had a couple get very irate with me last week. Met to look over plans and discuss this future home. I didn’t have the bid yet but came recommended. Told them I could get power to the site but in no way would be able to start this winter on the rough in. Also had inside knowledge that foundation would be complete before winter but framing would not commence until November. I generally do not start rough ins going into the dead of winter. I explained that spring was realistic and late March would be the earliest I could start. I was told that was ridiculous and that I had no business wasting THEIR time. That was “whatever” rude but fine. No time for that crap. Got a call back. They wanted a number. With no plans. Unfortunately for them, I took an inside remodel for February that same night right after I met with them. Told them as much. Oooh boy. “I’ll never work in this town again!”. I digress. You are right though. No phone call, screw that. Some folks get so busy and get the crappy attitude of “lucky I showed up at all” and that is just bad business and not the way you treat people.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I agree, it doesn’t reflect well on your company, which is why I always show up when I say I am. However, I have had potential customers not be there at the set time, get sick, etc. and no phone call. I usually will not deal with them again, reason being that tells me how little respect the have for anyone else but themselves. I don’t need to work for someone like that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I agree, it doesn’t reflect well on your company, which is why I always show up when I say I am. However, I have had potential customers not be there at the set time, get sick, etc. and no phone call. I usually will not deal with them again, reason being that tells me how little respect the have for anyone else but themselves. I don’t need to work for someone like that.
Don’t get me started LOL

Ask a Question