Acclimating Indoor Fish to a Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh my can't imagine a chicken getting into my house when I had them! Haha, that was a funny story, if not scary as well. Glad your fish are doing just fine. Sounds like your fish will be just fine, and probably partying it up in their new huge mansion!

Reaction score
Yeah, my chooks are spoiled brats. I'm pretty sure she came in through the dog door, the little snot. It was Penelope and she is the trouble maker of the group.The fish are still doing well. They are too scared to come up to the surface just yet, since the bigger fish scare them. Nobody chases them, the little ones just see the bigger fish and hide. Since they haven't left the rocks they hide in as of yet when I go out I have been sinking food next to the cave entrance for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh my, the vision of a chicken coming into the house through the doggie door. Yep, those are some spoiled chickens! When I had chickens, I thought they were spoiled since I would sit on a 5 gal bucket and feed them "treats" ... bugs, worms, grubs, rotten veges, plants, weeds, etc. I never dreamed of them coming into my house. LOL Yep, Penelope sounds like a trouble make for sure, but a very loved one at that. :LOL: :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Growing up as a child I used to go with my Grandad to his small holding chicken business the free range birds where quite a comical bunch of Birds, I found that sticking a chickens head under its wing sent them off to sleep.
Pointing their heads to the ground and drawing a line in front of them they would just stand there head to the ground watching it.
We used to go on an egg hunt which was great fun as they would lay their eggs in all sorts of places.
He never had any that would follow him back to the house ( I think my Grandma would have gotten upset if they did and probably chased them out with a broom)lol.
Sadly after his second Stroke the one that finished him he couldd no longer attend to them and sold his small holding.
Going for a visit down memory lane some years ago I was shocked to find it had gone and in its place was a state of the art Primary school, I think he would have approved.
On a sad not unable to speak and shrinking down from a once great man he wrote on a chalk board bye Lad I'll not See thee again ( I still tear up at that memory ).
At the time I was on board a training ship for young boys who wished a carrier in the Navy a four masted German barque by the name of TS Arethusa.
She is now moored under her original Name the SS Peking at the South Port Maritine Museum in New York City ( any of you guys that live there or in any of the nearer cities to NY have a pleasent day out in New York, having a look at her ).......
Back to Grandad he was right as about a month afterwards he passed away and I lost a very good and caring Grandparent, who had become my Dad after mother divorced him because he commited adultary.
He used to take me for Country walks explaining everything from country crafts to the best place to hunt rabbits fo the pot not the cuddley ones lol, giving me an interest in nature that has never gone , I loved him dearly for that.

rgrds

Dave

towards deck house.jpgpeking 13-10.jpgPeking aided by tug.jpgPeking NewYork.jpgPort shot.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great story, Dave, thanks for sharing! My father was also "Granddad" to my kids, as my mother's father was Granddad to me! My fondest memory of my father, when Parkinsons and the complications of it, pneumonia, took his life, were of him and my son (Army) and nephew (Navy) were on either side of him at the hospice part of the hospital, and he was smiling so broadly! That was the last time he was full awake. I'm sooo glad I pulled my son from his final week of training to be with his Granddad, as it gave my father great pleasure to have his two military grandsons at his side. My father was a Korean War vet. That picture is a treasure of the highest value to me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx so much for sharing, its amazing how many Grand Parents ended up taking the Dad or Mums place.
Sadly I never forgave my father after a bad argument aged 19 which saw me kicked out of his home, this was after my drunken and violently abusive Stepdad hit me one time too often , I wont tell you what I did but it was enough to realize one of us would end up dead namely him!!!!.....
I never spoke to my father again he died about 4 years ago but I blamed him for everything that had happened and in a way he deserved it .
I hope that god makes parents watch what their actions in our childhoods did to us in our adult life before seeking counceling for PTSD.
Strangely I dont miss him or my stepfather who died two years or so ago penniless and on his own a broken man, what goes around comes around!!!!.....

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, Dave, some parents are awful. But, in the end, we only have one set of parents. Some people are really lucky, and get two sets of great parents. Sounds like you didn't end up in the lucky department. I have a step mom that married my father after my parents divorced, dad has been gone for 10 years now, but she is still my wonderful step mom. In fact, she's been married since our dad, and all of us kids have remained close with her. Her third husband also died now a couple of years ago. She is a wonderful person, and I'll love her til the end. As I said, some of us got lucky with an extra set of wonderful parents. Parents who are abusive, mentally or physically, should be locked away. Back when we were kids, there was no one to go to that could help us. Nowadays, kids can call the cops on their own parents for piddly stuff, but at least when there is really something wrong, they have an ally out there for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
But the important thing is we survived and came through in the end , have you notice that we all seem to pick a most peaceful relaxing and contemplative hobby going.
Val and I spend the afternoons in the summer chilling by the pond watching our koi swim gracefully by .
A little rock music playing in the background ice cold Pepsi or Orange and come away most fulfilled in the evening happy as larry .
The mportant thing though is to learn how to keep the koi or goldfish disease and parasite free and they will pay you back in spades.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Great stories, you guys!
The Fishies are still doing just fine and we have been having warm weather the past few days, enough that a bit of algae is starting to grow in the pond. I had to bring the plants inside for the winter, so the pond has little cover aside from the parrots feather I left in there.
My spoiled chooks have their own harnesses and leashes for going on walks and diapers for when they come into the house for their training. They can jump through hoops, fly from one arm to the other, and know to pose wherever they are placed for pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, now you have to show us a pic of your "chicks" (I assume that's what you meant with "chooks"?) with harness and leashes on. OMG, that sounds hilarious, diapers, too, huh?! Yep, pics please!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha you made me laugh w/ that video of Charles the chicken..............I've seen everything now :LOL: Hats off to you as you are one devoted chicken mom!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Now that is a first, RF. I've never even heard of a leash for a chicken, much less a harness. Can you show us a pic of just the harness that you created? Have you ever thought about patenting your harness? I know that most areas in the U.S. allow chickens in suburban areas, since they are low maintenance, etc., and don't cause problems with neighbors (noise, smell, etc.) in low numbers. I was just talking with my cousin and her friends, chickens came up in the conversation (they were talking about needing their own cow for milk) and one of the other neighbors said, "Well you can get up to 3 chickens for your backyard." I think roosters would be frowned upon, as they tend to make too much early morning noise for neighbors who like to sleep late, but hens could produce enough eggs for a family easily. I can't imagine having chickens in my house, and I think you mentioned you made diapers or some type of "pants" for them when they are inside the house, I'd like to see a pic of those, too! I loved my chickens, just never thought about bringing them into the house. You sure spend a lot of time with your chickens, I bet they were very spoiled and happy!

Reaction score
I haven't patented my harnesses just yet, but I am so far the only person with the design that I have. There are a couple of other people in the states who sell the harnesses, but not ones specific for walking them. I average between 3-5 sales per month of the harnesses, which is pretty good. I have sold in England and in Australia as well as the U.S.

http://kaseyspoultry.webs.com/apps/photos/ Here's a link to a slide show about the harnesses.

Hopefully nobody thinks I'm trying to promote and sell on here. LOL

the laws here allow hens only in most cities and not all cities allow chooks. There is a high demand for self sufficiency lately and the laws are all changing as society changes.

Ask a Question