Acclimating Indoor Fish to a Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hens are allowed, but not "chooks". So, can I assume a chook is a rooster? I looked it up, and it said, "An Aussie slang word for chicken that's commonly used as a 'nice
insult,' especially when somebody has done or said something really obviously retarded that's only worth laughing about." So, that confused me as to what you are referring to as a "chook". Care to give your description?
Sounds like you have already moved forward to selling your harness creation. Very ingenious. Better get it patented before someone steals it and begins marketing it!

Reaction score
By chook I just mean chickens in general. It is slang for "Chicken", at least the way I use it. I meant that some cities have outlawed chickens entirely, which is an unfortunate thing.

Depending on where I went it would cost quite a bit to get a patent, so I haven't done it as of yet cause I can't afford to.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
My spoiled house shubunkins get to wait until spring to go into their nice big pond. I am going to wait until the water temperature goes above 65 and stays there.

The house tank is around 70 degrees.
Shubunkins are the funniest fish. They look so unnatural trying to swim around my pond. The koi out swim them for food but they look like a happy dog shaking their tale everytime i get near the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Keep looking for pretty ones, JW. I look at the fish in Wal-Mart every time I go there in the summer. Not now, as I'll find something I have to have, and can't put them in the pond right now. I've had the best luck with Wal-Mart fish, guess we have fish people taking care of them at my WM. I looked at PetSmart this past weekend, but didn't see anything I liked. In my opinion, the best colors for a Shubie are really vivid red and black on a bluish gray body. That color combo seems to stay put. The ones that were red with white and black spots, seemed to change colors.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'll be on the lookout this Summer and will check out Wally's and Petsmart.. I like to put mine in the bathtub pond by themselves for a couple months to make sure they are safe to go into the big pond. So far that is working out well. Gives them a chance to grow a bit and if any die before the warranty is up I can get them out easy. I've seen the ones I bought last year during this winter and noticed they are getting much bigger. Wonder if they will be spawning this year. Hope so cuz I want to see what colors will come up from their eggs and crossing w/ the goldies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Me, too, JW! I bought 3 that I really liked at WM. They were the bluish body with the black and red spots. I have a large one I got from Pond Kid (remember when he came here with his fish for me, and that's when Yukon showed up as a puppy last March?) that looks like this,and it's a big male. My smaller ones are about half his size, but really growing well. Saw several of the tiny (1-1.5") fantails already, and they made it through the winter just fine. Now, if we can get Shubies to spawn and then the fantails, too?! What fun we would have!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Would be really neat if you could get some shubby fantails outta the bunch! I'm gonna look for some cheap little fantails or butt wigglers as sissy calls them. Yep I remember the fish you got from pond kid. You got some nice fish from him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a couple of tri-colored fantails, too, so they colors are there if I could just get the right ones to breed! Guess Mother Nature is going to have to take care of that, and I'll be happy with whatever comes from the breeding. Gonna have to wait a while, though, as temps have gotten chilly again. Soon will be March, though .... but saw prediction was colder than normal March, darn it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Heck, the way I see it, if I put the ones I like best in a separate pond, they won't like the ones I have them with, and won't produce anything. I'll leave them to do their thing, and if I get lucky some day and get Shubunkins and fantail babies, so be it! I just love watching them swim and enjoying their bright colors. :goldfish:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep and too much trouble trying to do the separation pond.............the less work the better,let nature take its course
fishkissing7.gif

Reaction score
My babies are still doing well. They have grown a bit in the new set up. I also have 5 new fishies from my neighbor's pond. It was being removed, so they were a last minute rescue. 1 shubie, 3 orange and white comets, and one orange common. They are 1" long fish so they go great with my two babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good deal, RF. Can you post some pics of your new arrivals and your babies? I'm just aching to see some baby fish pics. Soon we will all have babies swimming around in our ponds, trying to avoid the mouths of the bigger fish, or frogs or turtles! Can't wait.

Reaction score
I'll probably be posting pics soon. All of my females are already fat with eggs and I saw them looking like they were starting some spawning behavior today, so it might be soon for me. The weather is already warm enough for it. Looks like I'll be busting out the homemade breeding mop for the first time.

Ask a Question