According to my fish, Spring has arrived!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We were sitting by the pond yesterday late afternoon. Up till now, they have mostly been hanging out around the bottom. Last night, they were not only coming up close to the edge to visit, they were also chasing each other like crazy!!!! It's the time of year the poor females must hate. But it is fun to see the signs of Spring!

Another exciting moment -- as I approached the edge with my lawn chair, I saw a small FROG dive down to hide at the bottom!!!!!

I love my little ecosystem!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here too! The fish have been swimming around & enjoying the fact that the pond water temp got up to 50 degrees yesterday! Wood frogs are still spawning, heard the first toads show up last night & even had one green frog sitting out enjoying the nice afternoon yesterday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh you southerners... always gotta be first out of the gate!

Today is Meteorological Spring, so we northerners will make it eventually!
It's a double-edged sword down here. Spring often tries to come really early. There is new growth on all the plants - buds of flowers and leaves everywhere! But just as often, we will get a heavy frost or hard freeze before Spring is here to stay. Then all the new, lovely little buds go kaput! (This year, though, it feels like "real" Spring.)

The southerners will be jealous of the northerners and their cooler temps, once Summer is here!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our snow melted, and 3 days later it was 70+ degrees out! Honey bees were swarming the oranges I have out for a couple of Orioles.

I noticed several fry (fingerlings) swimming around. I figure they are left-overs from last year, but too small to be seen at the time. I can’t wait for the frogs and toads! We watched an egret “hunting” on our little neighborhood lake yesterday.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Signs of Spring are so here and even the little masked octopus by the pond is happy!

IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9591.JPG

IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is one of their good sources of pollen and nectar after coming out of winter.
We have been keeping oranges out for a couple of Orioles visiting the past month. As soon as our week-long snow melted, and the temps were in the 60’s, I was noticing the Orioles were acting odd around the oranges. When I checked, I found that some bees had also discovered the oranges and were swarming all over them! I left everyone alone (birds and bees), and just put out more oranges. The bee activity has waned, but I felt lucky that they found my backyard since the snow and ice have left a lot of our local flora struggling right now. This “guy“ was the only bee-visitor when I checked yesterday, but she (?) was happily lapping away!
C3B74EA4-E3E3-4775-A9FA-CCAA474DC097.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This “guy“ was the only bee-visitor when I checked yesterday, but she (?) was happily lapping away!
The only bees that gather food are she's the guy's do nothing but make queen bee full of baby making stuff. They do not gather food, they do not even feed themselves, the nurse bees feed them.
They pay the price, fertilize the queen and die, if live through the summer, get drug out of the hive to die in the fall.

Ask a Question