Acquired a koi pond, worried about the algae and fish!

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post. I'm desperate for a little help!
I recently moved into a rental home with 2 beautiful koi ponds and the previous owner has done very little to explain how to properly care for them.
I'm not sure of the exact pond sizes but they're relatively small. In one pond there are 4 smaller fish, I'm assuming they are goldfish rather than koi. The second pond only houses one larger fish (and occasionally a frog).

When we moved into the home, the previous owner told us to treat with algaecide that she left behind whenever we noticed algae starting to buildup. The algae however, is insane due to the house being vacant for a couple months! I've started weekly treatments as per the instructions on the bottle of algaecide.

There are plants in both, some of which have drooped down into the water and are accumulating more algae.
Pond #1 has a fountain running constantly, the water is clear for the most part with some algae on the rocks around the edge & bottom.
Pond #2 has a waterfall that seems to be disconnected and I've been unable to figure out the way it works. It also has some kind of aeration device in the middle of the pond underwater, but it also doesn't appear to be running. This is where my main concern is. This pond houses the solo, larger fish and the water is getting increasingly cloudy and murky. I am hesitant to continue treating it because I don't want to harm the fish.

I guess my main reason for coming to this forum is for ANY help. I will attach a few photos of the ponds which are beautiful indeed but definitely need to be well maintained and I am at a loss for what to do. My research online has only freaked me out and left me more confused. I am wondering if any of you pond pros can help me keep my newly acquired fish happy! I'm a whiz at gardening and have really taken the ponds to a whole new level as far as the landscaping but caring for the ponds, water, and fish are completely new to me. I can make it look pretty, but I don't know where to go from there!!

Anything helps. Products to use, etc. Here are some of my immediate concerns and questions.

1) Should I cut back any of the plants that have drooped into the water and are accumulatng algae?
2) Is a layer of algae on the rocks IN the ponds normal?
3) What are some safe tips for clearing up Pond #2 without harming the solo fish?
4) How can I create some aeration in Pond #2 in the absence of the the waterfall/underwater contraption inside working? This is something I'm afraid to mess with when I'm already stressing about keeping the poor fish alive, so a quick fix until I can get to the root of the waterfall problem would be ideal.
5) How often should I be feeding them (I've been doing it 1-2x per day with small pinches to make sure they eat it all)?
6) How often should I treat with algaecide?
7) Is it normal for a fish to suck on the algae? I've noticed the larger fish going after it, possibly for leftover food? I want to clear that out ASAP.

Thanks all, I really hope to get these guys happy again!

Attachments

• 971448_10152925036875447_109343589_n.jpg
    971448_10152925036875447_109343589_n.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 20130629_133250.jpg
    20130629_133250.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 369
  • 20130629_133259.jpg
    20130629_133259.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 394
  • 20130629_133302.jpg
    20130629_133302.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 389
  • 20130629_133315.jpg
    20130629_133315.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 407
  • 20130629_133319.jpg
    20130629_133319.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 398
  • 20130629_133403.jpg
    20130629_133403.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 20130629_133408.jpg
    20130629_133408.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 427
  • 20130629_133418.jpg
    20130629_133418.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 380

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cut back all plants that are drooping into the pond and if you are a renter owner of house should be responsible for the ponds.Is there any kind of filter at all and could pumps and stuff be clogged and need cleaned out .Welcome and nice ponds but they should not be your total responsiblity

Reaction score
We are renters, and the homeowner has just been very swept up in a recent cancer diagnosis and is undergoing some extreme chemotherapy. She makes herself available when she can, but I'm such a beginner I need someone to be available often to answer my questions! :confused:

We are doing a rent-to-own option though, so ultimately it will become my full responsibility.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I think the question here is do you want to take responsibility for the ponds. Given that you are taking the time to post I am guessing that the answer is yes but we have to ask. To me it looks like a nice way for you to experiance ponding without starting from scratch or spending a lot of money.

Eating algae is good for the fish.

There is always a layer of algae on anything that is submerged. But the thickness and type of varies.

Will continue in next post.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
3) What are some safe tips for clearing up Pond #2 without harming the solo fish?
I would place him in the other pond while cleaning his home.

4) How can I create some aeration in Pond #2 in the absence of the the waterfall/underwater contraption inside working? This is something I'm afraid to mess with when I'm already stressing about keeping the poor fish alive, so a quick fix until I can get to the root of the waterfall problem would be ideal.
Buy an aquarium air pump and an air stone or two.

5) How often should I be feeding them (I've been doing it 1-2x per day with small pinches to make sure they eat it all)?
You are doing fine. I make sure everyone can take a bite. Go away, come back for a 2nd.

6) How often should I treat with algaecide?
Everyone has some algae. Learn not to get freak about it. The algae is there taking up the fish waste. Without a filter that is a good thing. When you use the algaecide the waste builds up and is harmful to the fish. Don't stress about that either. Take some water from each pond to a pet store and have it tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Then we can talk about algae control. For now just remove it by hand if you can.

7) Is it normal for a fish to suck on the algae? I've noticed the larger fish going after it, possibly for leftover food? I want to clear that out ASAP
Yup and it is good for them.

In short lets make sure it is a safe home for the fish first then worry about how it looks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry to hear about her cancer scare and can understand 100% .Is there some type of filter or prefilter on the pump and is there an aerator some where around to hook up to what you think is a piece of it .under the frog I see something black and plastic

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much for the help already (and for keeping me from panicking, haha)!

Yes, I want to care for the ponds. I love to garden and spend alot of time outdoors. My son has named all the fish already. The ponds were a huge selling point to renting this house, I just underestimated how much work they are to maintain when you know nothing about them!

Would moving the big fish to the other pond be dangerous to the little fish or do fish typically get along well. That may sound silly, but I only ask because previously my experience with fish was just bettas that my son had, and obviously when you put them together they kill each other so I wouldn't want that to happen!

The fish are definitely my first priority here, I try to remove the algae as I see it on the surface, but of course that creates a mess in the water so I am always a little hesitant to do too much at a time.

There is definitely what I'm assuming is an aeraor in the second pond. When I first moved in it was barely bubbling at the surface and was covered in algae. I attempted to remove some of the algae (without removing it from the pond) but it is now not running again...almost like it just isn't getting any pressure. I have no idea how the waterfall works, that runs right into Pond #2. The backside of the pond area is covered in dense ground ivy but I've seen a hose running under there and haven't been able to figure out where it leads to...I'm not entirely sure that the waterfall is even connected to anything right now. It has never run since I've lived here (approx. 2 months). I haven't seen any kind of "pump" persay. There is a chance that they have it all hooked up as part of the irrigation system for the whole yard. The irrigation system is getting no power though, even though its plugged in right by the ponds (pic below of that). We have 2 irrigation panels. One is always on and controls sprinklers in the front yard. The second one appears to do nothing, because it gets no power. Is is even possible that it could be running the flow of the fountains/ponds?

Those little frog decorations are in both ponds. What is their purpose? They have the tube hanging in the water with several holes. Just another form of aeration?

I will definitely look into an aquarium pump on the meantime until I can sort out the filtration on Pond #2.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There has to be a pump that is clogged and you will have to follow the hose to see where it leads .It could be the pump is just plugged up with algae .Irrigation would have nothing to do with the pond that I know of .The aerator needs to be unplugged and pulled to inspect it .You would be better investing your money on a pump than an aerator .Pump in the water will also add air .I don't have an aerator just a pump .Lowes and other places sell pumps .Set up a make shift filter .Hose can be a 10 dollar sump pump hose as that is what i use .You could put the pump in the water and the hose run up through something heavy and put a flower pot in the middle of the pond with filter material in it and this way water will go right back into the pond clean and aerated .A cheap pump or 2 one for each pond .Are the ponds running into each other ,they do look close enough for that .Aeration will be taken care of by the pump .We don't want you son to be upset if the fish die .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plants give off air to the water during the day but use it up at night .At least the ponds are shaded and that helps .Plants also suck up excess nutrients and ammonia .

Reaction score
I don't believe the ponds are connected. We also get ALOT of rain here in central Florida and I had read somewhere that the brown, cloudy water could be partially due to rain runoff. Tomorrow I will move the big fish (Ferdinand) over with the others so I can get to the root of the problem with the pump/aeration and clean out his little pond without stressing him.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Jinxdkarma said:
Hi all, this is my first post. I'm desperate for a little help!
I recently moved into a rental home with 2 beautiful koi ponds and the previous owner has done very little to explain how to properly care for them.
I'm not sure of the exact pond sizes but they're relatively small. In one pond there are 4 smaller fish, I'm assuming they are goldfish rather than koi. The second pond only houses one larger fish (and occasionally a frog).

When we moved into the home, the previous owner told us to treat with algaecide that she left behind whenever we noticed algae starting to buildup. The algae however, is insane due to the house being vacant for a couple months! I've started weekly treatments as per the instructions on the bottle of algaecide.

There are plants in both, some of which have drooped down into the water and are accumulating more algae.
Pond #1 has a fountain running constantly, the water is clear for the most part with some algae on the rocks around the edge & bottom.
Pond #2 has a waterfall that seems to be disconnected and I've been unable to figure out the way it works. It also has some kind of aeration device in the middle of the pond underwater, but it also doesn't appear to be running. This is where my main concern is. This pond houses the solo, larger fish and the water is getting increasingly cloudy and murky. I am hesitant to continue treating it because I don't want to harm the fish.

I guess my main reason for coming to this forum is for ANY help. I will attach a few photos of the ponds which are beautiful indeed but definitely need to be well maintained and I am at a loss for what to do. 1) My research online has only freaked me out and left me more confused. 2) I am wondering if any of you pond pros can help me keep my newly acquired fish happy! I'm a whiz at gardening and have really taken the ponds to a whole new level as far as the landscaping but caring for the ponds, water, and fish are completely new to me. I can make it look pretty, but I don't know where to go from there!!

Anything helps. Products to use, etc. Here are some of my immediate concerns and questions.

3) Should I cut back any of the plants that have drooped into the water and are accumulatng algae?
4) Is a layer of algae on the rocks IN the ponds normal?
5) What are some safe tips for clearing up Pond #2 without harming the solo fish?
6) How can I create some aeration in Pond #2 in the absence of the the waterfall/underwater contraption inside working? This is something I'm afraid to mess with when I'm already stressing about keeping the poor fish alive, so a quick fix until I can get to the root of the waterfall problem would be ideal.
7) How often should I be feeding them (I've been doing it 1-2x per day with small pinches to make sure they eat it all)?
8) How often should I treat with algaecide?
9) Is it normal for a fish to suck on the algae? I've noticed the larger fish going after it, possibly for leftover food? I want to clear that out ASAP.

Thanks all, I really hope to get these guys happy again!

1) My research online has only freaked me out and left me more confused.

In the words of Dr. Phil ;) , don't allow all of the "newness" and foreign talk turn into a fear that controls you; grab a glass of wine and return to take control of the situation. :)

2) I am wondering if any of you pond pros can help me keep my newly acquired fish happy! I'm a whiz at gardening and have really taken the ponds to a whole new level as far as the landscaping but caring for the ponds, water, and fish are completely new to me. I can make it look pretty, but I don't know where to go from there!!

An entire new world out here in the pond hobby.

If you can obtain and share a water test report from your local municipality building, which is public information, then this will help better fine tune the advice given to you.

Until then and also to know some ponding basics, then read remedial chemistry and water treatments.

It is very important to know the pond's gallons. If you can't empty the pond and refill to meter the water, then the above hyperlink talks about how to calculate the pond gallons without metering or adding/removing water. If you don't want to do this, then this is fine, but, when not being confident about the pond's gallons, then be extremely careful anytime you use a peroxide or algaecide product and use very conservative measurements, that is possibly lower than the recommended dosages.

3) Should I cut back any of the plants that have drooped into the water and are accumulatng algae?

If the algae is thick enough and depending on the plant, then the plant foliage wilth quite a bit of accumulating algae will die, but, if you can't take control of the algae, then it will just return progressing upward on the plant.

4) Is a layer of algae on the rocks IN the ponds normal?

Yes.

5) What are some safe tips for clearing up Pond #2 without harming the solo fish?

If pond#2 is extremely dirty, full of mud and other crud, then kicking up this stuff into the water can possibly kill the fish. Personally, I would temporarily move the fish, that is if you can catch her without hurting her. If you can't catch the fish, then move slowly in the pond and dose the pond with a very low dose of grocery store hydrogen peroxide, no additives, at around a cup per 1,000 gallons every 10 minutes or so while cleaning in the pond. Toxic gases are created when stiring up all of the debris and this peroxide will neutralize it. After done, then properly do a small water change.

6) How can I create some aeration in Pond #2 in the absence of the the waterfall/underwater contraption inside working? This is something I'm afraid to mess with when I'm already stressing about keeping the poor fish alive, so a quick fix until I can get to the root of the waterfall problem would be ideal.

If you do not want to put an aquarium air stone nor turn on the waterfall, then this severely limits your options. If you get a small fountain pump from lowes or home depot, that is just simply sits on the pond floor pushing water up, then this will help. Other than this, there's really not much else I can think of.

7) How often should I be feeding them (I've been doing it 1-2x per day with small pinches to make sure they eat it all)?

Generally, to find out, first measure a particular amount of food, then feed them. If all of the food gets eaten in less then 5 minutes, then increase the amount. Do this once a day, until you figured out the proper amount. Stop if there is any noticeable amount of food left floating around. Once figured, then set this amount in a container and portion it out throughout the day. It is better for them to be fed multiple servings rather than just one major serving everyday.

8) How often should I treat with algaecide?

First, follow the instructions on the product. The frequency depends on the product being used to control the algae.

9) Is it normal for a fish to suck on the algae? I've noticed the larger fish going after it, possibly for leftover food? I want to clear that out ASAP.

Yep, it's a food source. Fish will feed on many things that end up in the water, but, this does not necessarily mean you should keep algae in the pond.

Jinxdkarma said:
Thank you guys so much for the help already (and for keeping me from panicking, haha)!

Yes, I want to care for the ponds. I love to garden and spend alot of time outdoors. My son has named all the fish already. The ponds were a huge selling point to renting this house, I just underestimated how much work they are to maintain when you know nothing about them!

Would moving the big fish to the other pond be dangerous to the little fish or do fish typically get along well. That may sound silly, but I only ask because previously my experience with fish was just bettas that my son had, and obviously when you put them together they kill each other so I wouldn't want that to happen!

The fish are definitely my first priority here, I try to remove the algae as I see it on the surface, but of course that creates a mess in the water so I am always a little hesitant to do too much at a time.

There is definitely what I'm assuming is an aeraor in the second pond. When I first moved in it was barely bubbling at the surface and was covered in algae. I attempted to remove some of the algae (without removing it from the pond) but it is now not running again...almost like it just isn't getting any pressure. I have no idea how the waterfall works, that runs right into Pond #2. The backside of the pond area is covered in dense ground ivy but I've seen a hose running under there and haven't been able to figure out where it leads to...I'm not entirely sure that the waterfall is even connected to anything right now. It has never run since I've lived here (approx. 2 months). I haven't seen any kind of "pump" persay. There is a chance that they have it all hooked up as part of the irrigation system for the whole yard. The irrigation system is getting no power though, even though its plugged in right by the ponds (pic below of that). We have 2 irrigation panels. One is always on and controls sprinklers in the front yard. The second one appears to do nothing, because it gets no power. Is is even possible that it could be running the flow of the fountains/ponds?

1) Those little frog decorations are in both ponds. What is their purpose? They have the tube hanging in the water with several holes. Just another form of aeration?

I will definitely look into an aquarium pump on the meantime until I can sort out the filtration on Pond #2.

1) Those little frog decorations are in both ponds. What is their purpose? They have the tube hanging in the water with several holes. Just another form of aeration?

Yep, likely some type of fountain of some sort, which would provide some aeration.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have also just posted, in another thread, an explanation and how to approach some particular ways to get rid of the algae. In the thread, post#22, took over existing pond, fighting algae for weeks now.

Ponding has its noxious weeds just like gardening.

Algae is the noxious weed for ponds.

There are forms of algae that is quite pretty, like a dandelion, and forms of algae quite ugly, like a grassbur. As nice as dandelions are, eventually, if they filled up your lawn, then your lawn would not look so pretty in the hot summer. Algae is the same way for ponds.

Ask a Question