Activated carbon in filter?

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about my filter. I have a fairly new pond around 6 weeks old, it started out clear of course then went green which I've read on here is normal. After adding barley extract and beneficial bacteria for the last two weeks I can now see the bottom pretty much. My question is I have an aquarium which uses these filter pouches that have activated carbon inside. So would it also work for my pond? I am using the quilt batting inside my waterfall and thought about making a pouch like aquarium ones but on a larger scale with the batting and activated carbon. Anyone ever tried that? If so how did it work for you and where would I purchase activated carbon. Thanks

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Generally most people only use carbon in ponds to do specific things like remove medication.

You are trying too hard.

The algae was there to consume the ammonia that your bio filter could not yet handle. .

With a new pond water generally will clear in 6 or 8 weeks because the bio filter has matured.

Reaction score
Thank you Howard, one more question. The color of my water is about the color of very weak tea is that normal? I know it won't look like a swimming pool but not sure what it should be.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pambates said:
Thank you Howard, one more question. The color of my water is about the color of very weak tea is that normal? I know it won't look like a swimming pool but not sure what it should be.
Tannins from leaves, tree branches, etc. And yes, activated carbon WILL help get rid of that. Depending on the size of your pond, you'll need several pounds of it. I put it in a lingerie-type laundry bag (something with a close weave, not an open weave or you'll have carbon particles everywhere) and put it in the filter, or somewhere where water will flow through. Might take a week. But once AC does its job of absorbing or binding with the chemicals, it's done & can't be reused.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Generally most people only use carbon in ponds to do specific things like remove medication.

You are trying too hard.

The algae was there to consume the ammonia that your bio filter could not yet handle. .

With a new pond water generally will clear in 6 or 8 weeks because the bio filter has matured.

You are trying too hard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The comment that fish love duck weed is so true. I have put duck weed taken from the river in my pond several times. It just disappears in relatively short order. A minor drawback of using wild duckweed is it may contain stuff you don't want. I found two adult size zebra mussels in the pond when I cleaned it out the next year.
Are snails good or bad in a back yard pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
The "Concessions Answer" is snails are the greatest thing since sliced bread when they are alive and the worst catastrophe ever when they die. The reality answer is If you like them, then give them a try, their effects are pretty neutral. I've added a few snails to my pond and they died without catastrophic effects, I'm going to order more, a larger quantity to see if I can get them to develop a stable population.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm going to try calcium carbonate in my pond to try and clear the tannins a bit. It's about 1,000 gallons. Anybody know about how much calcium carbonate I should use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I'm going to try calcium carbonate in my pond to try and clear the tannins a bit. It's about 1,000 gallons. Anybody know about how much calcium carbonate I should use?
I've just thrown some (crushed Oyster shell) in a thistle seed sack and dropped in in where the water can flow over it. It's going to take a long time for it to dissolve, so it's hard to overdose. Calcium chloride should work as well if you don't want to change the water's pH; I've never used it, @Meyer Jordan should be up to speed on CaCl2 dosages.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've just thrown some (crushed Oyster shell) in a thistle seed sack and dropped in in where the water can flow over it. It's going to take a long time for it to dissolve, so it's hard to overdose. Calcium chloride should work as well if you don't want to change the water's pH; I've never used it, @Meyer Jordan should be up to speed on CaCl2 dosages.

Never used it. Always used AC, it does not affect the water chemistry. Calcium Chloride does (salinity). So does Calcium carbonate (Hardness-GH)

Ask a Question