Activated Carbon vs Water Change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I am currently treating my 500 gallon pond with Microbe-Lift Ich-Out. I did the necessary water change before proceeding with the second treatment, however, I am wondering if once the treatment is complete, if I could put activated carbon into the skimmer area to remove the chemicals INSTEAD OF performing another water change? Even though my pond is small, water changes take a lot of time! :) But, of course, I don't want to "cut corners" at the expense of my goldfish. What do you think?

Reaction score
I've never used this product, but when medicating the QT, which is 750 gallons, I follow the instructions to the letter. If it calls for another water change (which I am not big on), I would do it. It is an inconvience, but the pond itself is tiny, so wont take that long. With screwing around doing misc things at once, it only takes us about an hour or so with the 750 to drain, dechlorinate new water, and refill ...

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Directions
  • Shake well before using
  • Dose at the rate of 1 teaspoon (5 mL) for each 10 gallons (38 L) of water, or 1 fl. oz. per 60 gallons (227 L).
  • Prior to the initial use of MICROBE-LIFT/Ich-Out a partial water change, of 25% or more should be made; this water change should be coordinated with the period when the diseased fish are showing the least number of cysts (spots).
  • Carbon filtration must be removed during treatment (CAUTION: Do not stop other filtration!).
  • Retreatments may be repeated, following the recommended water change, at least every 24 hours.
  • As with the initial dosage of MICROBE-LIFT/Ich-Out the best results can be expected if the water change and dosage are performed when the diseased fish are showing the fewest cysts (spots).
  • Treatment in a separate quarantine/treatment (Q/T) tank is strongly recommended.
Ingredients
  • Water
  • Formaldehyde (

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If possible (and I realize it may not be) I would have removed all the fish from the pond and treated them in a kiddie pool. Ick die if they do not have access for fish for some period of days.

Maybe even employ the tub to tub method instead of using medication.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
anitapond said:
I am currently treating my 500 gallon pond with Microbe-Lift Ich-Out. I did the necessary water change before proceeding with the second treatment, however, I am wondering 1) if once the treatment is complete, if I could put activated carbon into the skimmer area to remove the chemicals INSTEAD OF performing another water change? Even though my pond is small, water changes take a lot of time! :) But, of course, I don't want to "cut corners" at the expense of my goldfish. What do you think?
1) Personally, I equivocate water changes to opening a window in a car to let the fresh air into the car. If you are in the mountains with all these nice fresh air and you're stuck in a van full of annoying family members, then opening a window really makes you feel better with the nice air into the car while removing the old stale, smelly family member air. ;) However, if you are in a big city stuck on a busy highway and open your window, then the "fresh" air will be that of lovely car exhaust smell filling up your car. Water changes are like this and very dependent on the quality of your source water and what it would take to "clean" the water if there were no water changes.

Water changes replenish minerals (depending on your source water), buffering attributes (depending on your source water), dilutes dissolved organic particulates, dilutes fish toxic nitrogens, and dilutes particular precipitated compounds or salinity or other inorganic chemicals that can only be removed from water changes or special media or an increase in plant density along with a routine of maintaining the activated charcoal.

Water changes are diluting your pond water to more emulate the quality of your water source. If your source water is more acidic or softer or has a higher salinity or has other contaminants, then water changes could make things worse, but, if you do not have an alternative source water, then you just don't have another option, other than using the water source you already have, unless you want to add products (such as buffering agents, absorbant medium, minerals) to the water so to avoid dong water changes.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welp, Anita, I do believe I misunderstood you, but I'll leave my post still stand!! ;)

I think Howard got ya covered. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Anita
Remove activated carbon during treatment then waterchange after treatment before replacing the activated carbon.
You must always do water changes after any treatment, I mean you wouldnt like it if you had an operation then the surgeon leaves your dirty dressings on then covers that dressing with a clean dressing would you ?
Its the same for fish , the activated carbon is for day to day use, water changes must be done after the use of any chemicals in the pond

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question