Activated Carbon?

Reaction score
K, so until I am re-doing my pond filter set up (hopefully next weekend) and I was thinking some activated carbon might help with my poop farm. That said, what kind should I get, noticed there are different types. Also, where in the filter do I put it? We are using a low profile (short and wide) 50 gallon stock tank to create a skippy filter at the top of our falls. Also, what other media should I use to fill it with and do I need to/how do I layer that in there? Thanks!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the carbon will remove tannins(color)and some toxins. plus you want ammonia protection so use zeolite.. thats its sole purpose in this world.... if you use scrubby pads for your new filter,.use the cut to fit furnace filters also.. layer them(whatever you use) corsest on the bottom to the finest on top the dollar store pads are a lttle corser than the 3m ones at Sams. so some of both are good along with the furnace ones...yoiu can get them at Lowes or HomeDepot.

Reaction score
Is there a particular kind or form of activated carbon I should get? does it matter where in the filter I put it? And finally, what is zeolite?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
zeolite should be right next to the activated carbon on the store shelf its white,and like i said it does one thing and does it well..it absorbs ammonia. you can actually buy a mix of a.c & zeolite...i used the large crystal zeolite and hung a mesh planter full under my return pipe,so the water ran thru it falling back into the pond. but you can use it anywhere theres good water flow in a old nylon stocking or mesh bag. its a good thing while your waiting for a filter to mature. and you can restore its effectiveness by soaking it in a strong salt water solution over night.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its about the same price as the carbon i bought mine at Meijers about $6.00 a jar if i remember right, i used 2 jars.the more the better tho. dont remember the weight. the carbon can be rejuvenated also...in a hot oven.

Reaction score
how do you guys feel about lava rock also? we threw in some in our 35 gal skimpy but not much. When we rebuild this winter i was thinking of putting some real big pieces in the bottom of the 250 gal bog so extra filtering... (our pond plans just keep getting bigger!)

Ask a Question