activated charcoal in filter???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just made a DYI bucket filter for my stock tank that I'm going to be housing my goldfish in until I move. I have the green scrubbies and that poly-fiberfill stuff, and am going to get some bioballs.
But I was just wondering if anyone uses activated charcoal? The reason I ask is because I was cleaning the filter of my turtle aquarium and those filters contain charcoal and I wondered if I could also use them in the bucket filter.

Just a thought..............opinions???

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can use it and zeolite will also help with ammonia spikes .Before you move make sure yu do not feed them .That will add to there stress level and produce even more ammonia .I always use zeolite when I have sick fish in my stock tanks .his way I know that ammonia spikes will be taken care of and people will get healthy fish back .Also aeration is very important in tanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Charcoal is mainly used in ponding to remove tannins (dark coloration caused by leaves, wood....). Otherwise, I think it's used to remove toxins and/or odors from the water. In general use, it has to be replaced regularly as it can't be reused once it reaches its peak absorption. Personally, I don't think you need to use it, but it's certainly not going to hurt anything.

Ask a Question