Activated charcoal or Activated Carbon, which to use

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
When it comes to water clarity, such as tannins what works better ?

1. Activated charcoal
2. Activated carbon
3. where do I get it?
4. how is it used?
5. what kind of container, sock or bag does it need?
6. Is there a particular size of pellet to get?
7. Where to place it (bio filter or skimmer area)

Thanks ahead of time as I have never used activated charcoal/carbon before

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Activated Charcoal and Activated Charcoal are two labels for essentially the same thing.
It is easily found on-line. Google 'Activated Carbon/Charcoal" then click on the 'shopping' tab.
It is best used in a fine mesh bag Some sources sell it already in a mesh bag. Larger pellets are better at accommodating the water flow rates used in ponds. It should be placed where it will be exposed to moving water. The biofilter or skimmer , as you indicated, is ideal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Activated Charcoal and Activated Charcoal are two labels for essentially the same thing.
It is easily found on-line. Google 'Activated Carbon/Charcoal" then click on the 'shopping' tab.
It is best used in a fine mesh bag Some sources sell it already in a mesh bag. Larger pellets are better at accommodating the water flow rates used in ponds. It should be placed where it will be exposed to moving water. The biofilter or skimmer , as you indicated, is ideal.

Do I need to rinse it 1st before placing it. If so, how long ?

Also, when topping off the pond with tap water... do I need to add anything to remove the Chloramines ?
I can see doing so if I do a drastic water change, but not sure if I need to if adding just an occasional inch of water due to evaporation.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I do not rinse it because it will pull any impurities from the tap water thus limiting its effective life in the pond. The charcoal dust is harmless and will eventually settle out.
If your tap water contains Chloramines, it is best to treat it regardless of the size of water change or top-off. However, if your source water contains Chlorine, a small addition of water without treatment is basically harmless as the Chlorine is further diluted and will quickly dissipate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh I am so glad I have well water no matter the hassles sometimes with it .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Don't laught! We actually had someone a few years back who was going to use charcoal briquettes!

I really wonder how much harm, if any, would result from using briquettes. Although I am sure that they would not be as effective as AC, if at all.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not a lot more out there..... Apparently some brands of charcoal briquettes have chemicals added, for example, to make them more flammable. But apparently, not all do. I did read one forum thread (not GPF) where everyone said "no," but one person said they tried it in their pond and didn't have any problems. They didn't say if they were still using it. The thread was several years old.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Certainly would not want to use any of the charcoal that contained chemical accelerants. But the old 'Cheapo' BBQ charcoal probably does not have anything added.
I would not use it because it would not have the chemical removal abilities of AC, but it shouldn't have any major effect on water quality. Clarity? Maybe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Certainly would not want to use any of the charcoal that contained chemical accelerants. But the old 'Cheapo' BBQ charcoal probably does not have anything added.
I would not use it because it would not have the chemical removal abilities of AC, but it shouldn't have any major effect on water quality. Clarity? Maybe.
Well first of all carbon is carbon chemically. The biggest difference between a charcoal brickette and an Activated charcoal lump is physical, the brickette is usually compressed, the brickette may also have some binders, and some things to help it light like wax, oil or even sodium nitrate, both are probably not good to put into your pond. Activated Charcoal is usually the product of pyrolysis (heating without oxygen) of wood or coconut fiber and is a light porous material, and has a surface area on the order of acres per teaspoon. AC is very good for adsorbing chemicals from a fluid like air or water. The brickquette being compressed will not adsorb anywhere near as much as AC would.
If you're going to us a grilling charcoal, get one of the more expensive ones that still looks like wood with visible grain and pores, and doesn't have any adulterants added to increase light ability. Personally I'd either us AC for lab or industrial use or make my own so I'd know what's in it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would never use or recommend the use of any type but Activated Charcoal. Other posts were just musings, nothing serious.

Ask a Question