Active Charcoal?

Reaction score
Does anyone use this in the ponds that they have? I am curious. Also, is there a formula to figuring out how much you need. Meaning x pounds/100 gallons or anything like that?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Is there are reason why you want to use it? Mostly, people use them for indoor tanks.

Reaction score
Actually, yes. I have tannin in my water. I have built a rain barrel filter, stuffed with quilt batting, to filter this out and noticed that most of the aquarium filters on the market for tannin problems contain this. I figured that it can only help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I bought a bag this spring and put in my waterfall this spring. I had a real problem this spring with leaves. No skimmer yet so couldn't keep up with them.
Not sure if that is what took care of the problem but my water did clear. I put it in a fine mesh bag I bought at the same time. (cheap) The bag tore though, next time I would double the bags.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We put charcoal in our waterfall this year to clear tannins. Typically we let it clear up on it's own, but it comes back every time it rains... and it has rained a lot this spring!

I did help to clear the water within 2 or 3 days. We used 3 one pound bags in our 4500 gallon system - no real formula there, we just thought we would try it and see how it went. It's in 3 mesh bags which are inside of another mesh bag. Where we put it you can't even tell it's there.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've used powdered charcoal to get rid of the brownish colour in my turtle pond's water, just sprinkle it on top of the mat in the filter. The tank holds about 250 gallons, and I use a 4-ounce container of charcoal. Works like a charm!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put plenty of bags of it in my pond filters .I buy acurel in the big bag from pet mountain every time it is on sale

Attachments

• pond parts 016.JPG
    pond parts 016.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 262

Ask a Question