added fish and cycling?

Reaction score
added three 4 to 5 inch koi to new pond week ago ,aprox. 2300 gals, also added bacteria additive couple days before, have not seen a change in ammonia or nitrite levels yet, i know 3 fish are not much but how long would this genrally take to cycle? fish are eating and seem happy. also liner is being covered with layer of green algea, is this a good thing?

Reaction score
added three 4 to 5 inch koi to new pond week ago ,aprox. 2300 gals, also added bacteria additive couple days before, have not seen a change in ammonia or nitrite levels yet, i know 3 fish are not much but how long would this genrally take to cycle? fish are eating and seem happy. also liner is being covered with layer of green algea, is this a good thing?

Reaction score
I tried the Microbe Lift Gel and applied it according to the instructions. Bottom line it still took quite some time for my biological filter to cycle. I don't have a great deal of confidence in the bacterial cultures they sell.

Algae is not a bad thing and totally normal, my fish snack on it. I do use a UV light to get rid of the plankton algae that turns your pond pea soup green.

I would suggest 10 percent water changes once a week. now you will find different opinions on how much, but I have found this works well for me. As you see your fish continue to do well you can feel confident in adding a few more fish from time to time.
I think patience is the key to pond success.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't either. if your bio filter can die within 5 hours of non operation, how can this stuff live months or more sealed in a bottle.

I see people using and swearing by it. They say 3-4 weeks and the pond is good to go. Mine is good to go in 2-3 weeks without it. go figure.

PS3

Reaction score
mailman it will take 4 to 6 weeks or less for the bio filter to kick in.
you need to add more fish go to the pet store and buy about 30 feeder gold fish.
they are small so this will help also. and do water changes weekly
i added 30 feeders along with my 5 larger gold fish in the spring.
so did pass but i have about 12 left and the are awesome lol
give it time if u have a uv light turn it off it will kill the good
bacteria

Reaction score
I will add some more fish, and I take it that the uv should stay off untill the cycle is complete? also are partial water changes nessesary with no ammonia or nitrite detected yet? thanks

Reaction score
i would warn about adding feeder goldfish unless you want a gold fish/ koi pond. i did the same thing and added about 20 feeder goldfish from petsmart, only 3 died and now i have 17 goldfish with my Koi. Now they are getting bigger, and i dont particualrly like the goldfish with my koi, and i am not one to just take them out and kill them, so unless you want koi and gold fish go for it.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They are cheap and can easily be given away on Craigs List. I just got rid of a 8" goldfish and I got a buck for it.

PS3

Reaction score
i have a gold fish pond and iam happy.. i had 4 kois for 14 years and theypassed last fall . so iam just sticking with gold fish they are easier to deal with lol.

the uv should stay off untill the cycle is complete i would have to say
leave it off for a week or so . but for the water change do one every other week till it kicks in or ask someboyd here that knows.
i really dont wanna tell u something wrong.
i kept my uv light off for the whole month i had green water
did it help i dont know lol but after 3 days it was clear

Ask a Question