Added Fish To New Pond, Now What.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I added two fish to the new pond two days ago, I didn't do an ammonia test yesterday, but today it's at about 0.2
what should the test numbers be hovering around, zero? What's a bad number while the filters are cycling. What number should I be targeting after the bacteria have settled in after a few weeks?

Currently using a Laguna canister setup but will eventually phase over to a bog filter. pH is around 7.0 and nitrates and nitrites are low. Used city tap water.

Another question is that my pond is lined but completely bare. I don't plan on plants this year in the pond (bog only). But I assume they will need a hiding spots. Should I get some tunnels or something else for them to be less exposed?

Getting pea gravel next week. Is it okay to put a thin layer of pea gravel at the bottom of the pond? I have a black goldfish and can't see them with the black liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pea gravel get covered in muck so you will never see it after awhile so the expense is not really worth it .You can get crushed oyster shells to stable your ph and zeolite will control ammonia .Do you treat your city water and don't feed your fish much
101_0942.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The ammonia reading of .2 is probably fine. Continue to test daily.
What is the numerical value of the nitrite?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
pea gravel get covered in muck so you will never see it after awhile so the expense is not really worth it .You can get crushed oyster shells to stable your ph and zeolite will control ammonia .Do you treat your city water and don't feed your fish much View attachment 101539
crushed oyster shells as a bedding? That could be expensive to order. though I know a place in Groton CT where I can get it for free, however not processed and full shells.

I was going to treat it for chlorine but everyone here said to not bother if I wait a few days before adding fish. Also have not fed them yet. I can start today, but I thought GF don't need regular feedings?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no you put them in a bag in your filter or over the side of the pond in a bag

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not really but i have a almost all black koi and he is easy to see

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
as mentioned before, the pond is bare at the moment. I have a bucket floating around and see they like to go in and out and under. Is there something I can float in the pond this year to give them some coverage? Not planning to have plants this year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get a piece of the green Styrofoam insulation from the box store, it floats. Make a few holes in it, stick in some plants = floating island = shade/shelter/ plant filtration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Get a piece of the green Styrofoam insulation from the box store, it floats. Make a few holes in it, stick in some plants = floating island = shade/shelter/ plant filtration
I like it, won't look so natural, but will keep my fish happy and won't need to water the plants

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
what should the test numbers be hovering around, zero? What's a bad number while the filters are cycling. What number should I be targeting after the bacteria have settled in after a few weeks?

Test results for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate will fluctuate as the pond cycles. For Ammonia and Nitrite a maximum reading of 1.0 should not cause any issues in your pond. Once the pond cycles the reading for these two (2) parameters should never be much over 0.00. Nitrate levels are not really an issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The ammonia reading of .2 is probably fine. Continue to test daily.
What is the numerical value of the nitrite?
using the Tetra test strips, nitrites are zero, going to order API liquid kit today along with the bigger pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Test results for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate will fluctuate as the pond cycles. For Ammonia and Nitrite a maximum reading of 1.0 should not cause any issues in your pond. Once the pond cycles the reading for these two (2) parameters should never be much over 0.00. Nitrate levels are not really an issue.
I have Ammo Lock on hand, but seems like I'm way below, will check the tap water also as suggested by Eric, any need to treat the water to remove the chloramines?

should I expect to see some indications of Nitrates as the ammonia is processed by the bacteria? looking for an indicator, this feels similar to waiting for my first child's birth....:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like it, won't look so natural, but will keep my fish happy and won't need to water the plants
Put some burlap on the green foam, on the top, hides the green, or get some spray paint , paint it brown, or put in lots of plants lol
Creeping jenny covers the top of the foam as it grows.

Ask a Question