Added Fish To New Pond, Now What.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's a pretty large difference. I try to keep maximum temperature differences below 5 degrees.
The fish is under a lot of stress right now, so check daily for any signs of disease.
Ich is a common parasite for fish under stress. Ice can be identified by white spots appearing on the body of the fish.

Ich: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthyophthirius_multifiliis

not a stranger to ich, being a primary killer of my fish in tanks when I was a kid. I'll keep a lookout for it. Good thing is the storm will bring cooler temps a bit here, so hopefully make the GF more comfortable.

what is the max recommended temp for GF?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
what is the max recommended temp for GF?

Goldfish can adapt to temperatures up to 41C/105F. Some studies have shown that Goldfish, even though they are considered cold-water fish actually prefer water temps of between 33C/91F and 36C/86F. I have personally observed Goldfish in water temperatures of over 86F for extended periods and show absolutely no signs of stress,
They are one, tough little fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Goldfish can adapt to temperatures up to 41C/105F. Some studies have shown that Goldfish, even though they are considered cold-water fish actually prefer water temps of between 33C/91F and 36C/86F. I have personally observed Goldfish in water temperatures of over 86F for extended periods and show absolutely no signs of stress,
They are one, tough little fish.

Major typo in above post. Should read-
"..............actually prefer water temps of between 33C/91F and 36C/96F."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
today is the first day I've noticed moderate changes in the test results. In particular the ammonia changed from 0.2 to 0.3 and the pH is sightly lower at 6.8 from 7.0.

any cause for alarm? Assume to just continue to monitor daily?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
View attachment 101586 my pearlscale may have a problem
it appears to be very dormant compared to the others, which are swimming and exploring their new home

it likes to float along the top, upright that is as opposed to sideways are upside down. Rarely moves but when it does seems normal. Is my fish sick or just lazy?

glad to report the pearlscale's condition appears to be improving. Still not eating but is occasionally socializing. She stayed on the bottom all day yesterday on the deep end which concerned me, but today moving around a bit more

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
today is the first day I've noticed moderate changes in the test results. In particular the ammonia changed from 0.2 to 0.3 and the pH is sightly lower at 6.8 from 7.0.

any cause for alarm? Assume to just continue to monitor daily?

I don't like the ammonia trending up, especially since you are using a filter with mature media in it.
Are you still using the test strips or do you have the liquid test drop kit yet?
If you still have those ammo chips, I would place them in the pond in a mesh bag if the ammonia keeps increasing.
Remember, no feeding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ammonia is using a liquid kit, nitrite are the strips
I did feed them the past three days per someone here's suggestion. The first few days did not feed. Just to confirm, cause it still seems odd to me, GF never need to be feed? Only koi do?

I have these for ammonia control, they okay? Also will get some oyster shells from Tractor Supply for the pH

WP_20170702_21_06_11_Pro.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't like the ammonia trending up, especially since you are using a filter with mature media in it.
Are you still using the test strips or do you have the liquid test drop kit yet?
If you still have those ammo chips, I would place them in the pond in a mesh bag if the ammonia keeps increasing.
Remember, no feeding.
I thought the OP said pond was in the process of cycling?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I thought the OP said pond was in the process of cycling?
sorry maybe bad vocabulary, does cycling mean the bacteria is established and processing the ammonia or filter startup leading to the bacteria growth. I meant to say the latter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ammonia is using a liquid kit, nitrite are the strips
I did feed them the past three days per someone here's suggestion. The first few days did not feed. Just to confirm, cause it still seems odd to me, GF never need to be feed? Only koi do?

I have these for ammonia control, they okay? Also will get some oyster shells from Tractor Supply for the pH

View attachment 101634
Goldfish will eventually feed off of the periphyton layer (green fuzzy layer that will cover all submerged surfaces) that develops, plus bugs that enter into the pond. It's a matter of how available those items are relative to how many fish you have. You can still feed the goldfish, but keep in mind that whatever food you put into the pond must eventually be removed otherwise the nutrient level will build up and nuisance algae will eventually appear.

Yes, that product you pictured is fine.

Ask a Question