Adding a bog filter to raised pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly with the lack of space (and funds) I want to achieve most natural way of filtering the pond and after reading on here how many people are so successful with keeping water clear of algae etc
Once I'e setup the bog and allowed it to settle in, I'll add plants as well as determining a date to switch off the ugly monster filter I have. If, I can achieve natural filtration, the better. If things don't pan out, I'll switch back on the monster and have best of both worlds.

It's a shame in UK, all aquatic shops recommended to go for a sponge filter of some sorts and not mention bog filter. Suppose no money made for a bog filter apart from cheap materials to use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plant some tall plants in your bog and it will hide the ugly monster!

I think I'll call Frank Drebin.

1595163811773.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's a shame in UK, all aquatic shops recommended to go for a sponge filter of some sorts and not mention bog filter.

Not just a UK thing, I'm sure. You are right - if you work up all your own bog components, they don't have much to sell you other than some extra liner. Before we built our pond 8 years ago, we just lucked out and started hearing the term "bog filtration" on some of the pond tours we were taking, looking for construction ideas. When we went to price out all of our pond components, the person who was helping us said "have you considered a bog filter?" and we were like "say what now?" And the rest is history. The way we built our bog, it actually cost us more than a biofalls would have, but long term was a much, much better choice. When we heard that an appropriately sized bog filter would do the job of SEVEN BIOFALLS, we were sold. And in our case it was a great choice. We don't put a second of labor into keeping the bog filter working, other than thinning plants a few times every season. And that's just gardening!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Suppose no money made for a bog filter apart from cheap materials to use.
The materials unfortunately aren't that cheap aquablocks average around 50 bucks a pop and i had i think it was 28 = 1400 the rubber was another 800 bucks and the stone good lord i think i dumped another 600. add the snorkel and centipede another 1500 bucks it was at 5 grand and that was me doing all the work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not just a UK thing, I'm sure. You are right - if you work up all your own bog components, they don't have much to sell you other than some extra liner. Before we built our pond 8 years ago, we just lucked out and started hearing the term "bog filtration" on some of the pond tours we were taking, looking for construction ideas. When we went to price out all of our pond components, the person who was helping us said "have you considered a bog filter?" and we were like "say what now?" And the rest is history. The way we built our bog, it actually cost us more than a biofalls would have, but long term was a much, much better choice. When we heard that an appropriately sized bog filter would do the job of SEVEN BIOFALLS, we were sold. And in our case it was a great choice. We don't put a second of labor into keeping the bog filter working, other than thinning plants a few times every season. And that's just gardening!

It's a shame the person who built my pond also didn't mention bog filter either. It's so simple and looks after itself you want to kick yourself when you already have a pond built and maturing, why didn't I do this instead ???? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I'm all in to mother nature looking after my pond as I have a 5ft mixed reef tank indoors using skimmer and algae scrubber just for cleaning the water.

Shopping around for plumbing parts now so will add some pics when the bog is ready to be let loose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The materials unfortunately aren't that cheap aquablocks average around 50 bucks a pop and i had i think it was 28 = 1400 the rubber was another 800 bucks and the stone good lord i think i dumped another 600. add the snorkel and centipede another 1500 bucks it was at 5 grand and that was me doing all the work.

Suppose size does matter o_Oo_O when it comes to filtration. Large your pond, the bigger the bog needs to be and if read correctly on here, 30% surface are of pond.
Luckily mines hasn't broken the bank (yet) so all in all, container, plumbing, pea gravel hopefully totals costs to £50 +/- ($62)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your procedding with the tub for your bog i would look at getting a lotus that will survive your area it will fill the bog with roots and it will grow out of the pot creating a drain on the pond nutrients well above what your bog normally could absorb

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our bog is closer to 15% of the surface area of our pond. Still works great. Ours is deep though - 4 feet. But that includes space for Aquablox and centipede/snorkel, plus a few layers of bigger rocks. The top 2 feet is gravel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If your procedding with the tub for your bog i would look at getting a lotus that will survive your area it will fill the bog with roots and it will grow out of the pot creating a drain on the pond nutrients well above what your bog normally could absorb

I don't have much knowledge of lotus plants so please give me some names and I'll check if capable in my climate. Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Suppose size does matter o_Oo_O when it comes to filtration. Large your pond, the bigger the bog needs to be and if read correctly on here, 30% surface are of pond.
Luckily mines hasn't broken the bank (yet) so all in all, container, plumbing, pea gravel hopefully totals costs to £50 +/- ($62)
Look at it this way mate when you have the time and money you can always add another tub bog

Ask a Question