Adding a shelf for plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm curious if it is possible to add a small shelf or ledge to an existing pond without draining. You can see my small pond in my avatar pic. I'm thinking of adding a 4-6" deep shelf, about 12" wide along the left and lower edges, just to be able to add more plant varieties in this second year. I have enough liner overlap buried under the mulch to cover the shelf, and will just realign the existing rock. I just don't want to tackle a full drain type project right now, with several other projects taking up my time.

Curious to hear others thoughts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll get some better pics this evening to try and paint a better picture for advice. Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just pull back the liner you have buried, dig the shelf to the depth and width you want (keep a slight slant back to keep things from sliding off) tuck the liner onto the shelf and back up the edge. reset the rocks, Done
Make sure you don't make the shelf bigger than the amount of liner you have left over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I took a couple of pictures last night. My plan is to build the small shelf along the bottom and left side of the two images. The pond is only about 4' in diameter and 24" at it's deepest. After taking my wife to a garden pond specialty store with some high end installations, she wants me to redo and lengthen the waterfall into more of a small stream type falls, but that's a project for another day. We are also going to be removing the bushes you see in the background, and add a small outdoor bistro set.

Attachments

• 20170406_200808.jpg
    20170406_200808.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 445
  • 20170407_073914.jpg
    20170407_073914.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 796

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see the excess liner on the right and left side of the picture, you could dig a nice shelf. I would dig a bit then lay the liner, if you have more dig some more, that way you won't run out of liner to cover the shelf. I would make it shallow, 6 inches or so, or less you could add rocks and put plants in among the rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think that's the plan. I'm also going to have to rearrange some rocks in my waterfall. There is a large rock that is used a shelf underneath, and my fish have found a small path to sneak in behind that. I haven't seen them all week, and I know that is where they are at. I'll have to plug the gap up to keep those guys out in the viewing area.

Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The shelf will also serve a dual purpose. You can't see in the photos, but the bank on the left is actually a bit higher than on the right, so I can't raise the water level up to cover the entire liner on that side. The shelf will help take care of that.

I'm going to blame that on the previous owner, who installed the pond. I've had plenty of chances to fix it though.

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's certainly what I'll be shooting for.
You can do it, the main thing is dig slow, check the liner , dig some more................
Oh also be careful with your shovel, you don't want to put it through the liner. Pull it far enough away, maybe even put a 2x4 between it and the dirt wall slightly pushed into the pond to give yourself some room.

Make sure you post pictures as you do it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a pretty little pond! I was going to add - if you take away the hiding place that your fish have found, make sure you give them another place to hide, at least until you get some plant growth going to provide cover. They may know something that you don't...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you. I never planned on being a ponder, but I have to admit that I've caught the bug...at least for now. You made a great point about the fish hiding spot, and I'll wait until I have my aquatics plants in place before blocking their access. They've been out a bit more the last couple of days nibbling on algae, which was great to see. They love hiding within the underwater aerator plants once I have them back in place. That should be in the next couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Hiding spots sound like a great idea. I just wished Herons and raccoons read pond forums because they don't seem to know. Raccoons hunt with their hands and love hiding spots to pin the fish to. Herons just wait a couple of minutes for the fish to come out into the all clear...OH NO, THEY GOT FRANK!!!

Ask a Question