Adding a skimmer

Reaction score
I am considering adding a skimmer to my existing pond. I see a wide price range for skimmers. Any thoughts on a good value in a skimmer. My pond is about 2000 gal.

Reaction score
Thanks foe the reply that looks pretty cool I just wonder if I could do that in a retrofit type situation as I won't have enough liner to pull inside the skimmer.

Reaction score
The only way for a retro fit is to place the entire deal inside the pond. Whether that's reasonable depends on the pond shape. I don't think I would in most cases.

No-niche skimmers are doable for retros. I'm not a fan of the look, but many people really like them. Not too expensive.

Reaction score
I have this type of In Pond Skimmer. It is easily removable for servicing or winter storage.

31U5fiCXZ2L.jpg

Reaction score
we made ours with an old swimming pool skimmer...we house it under the small dock.
it's easy to clean out and works great...Scour yard sales, you can pick up an
old skimmer for a couple of bucks. I attached an open dock photo to access the filter,
and a closed dock photo...good luck
joann

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 627
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 593
Reaction score
Cliff & Joann, that is quite cool. Do you have a pump inside the skimmer?

Oh, and speaking of retrofitting - provided you had plenty of access on the proper side, can a Savio Compact Skimmer be added to an existing pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Has anyone noticed if there is a particular size that works best overall, or is that determined more by the size of the debris you are trying to clean up? I have a locust tree standing over my pond, which drops a huge amount of very tiny leaves. I have an idea where I could put a skimmer out of sight, and I was thinking of a container that is long and deep, but very narrow (maybe only 2-3 inches wide), with the floating door on the narrow end. I dunno, trying to retrofit a skimmer of any suitable size is pretty difficult.

Reaction score
garden gimp, yes, there is a pump, it's 500gph. But, a 250 GPH does the job as well.
In the pic with the white basket sticking up, I don't know why that basket is there?

The swimming pool pump that I referenced is a regular above the ground swimming pool
filter. We only use the skimmer in early spring and in the fall, as we have loads of huge
trees on our property. During the summer we just use a net to skim leaves that land in
the pond.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 386
Reaction score
gardengimp, yes you can retrofit a pond with a Savio campact skimmer. It's not very hard to do. And Savio makes some of the best products on the market. A little expensive, but well worth the cost.

Reaction score
Skimmer size and pump size are related. The size of debris shouldn't matter, the weir door will dip down to allow larger objects to enter. Items may kind of get hung up on the door, but as dam forms the debris will eventually give way and be pushed into the skimmer. This is also true for skimmers that don't have a weir door, just overflow type skimmers.

Ask a Question