Adding a Venturi to my pond, need some advise please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I've already got a (very) small (5"x4" panel) solar powered Venturi which works great during these sunny days that we are experiencing this summer, it does however stop instantly a cloud or shadow passes over it. The airstone and the waterfall provide some aeration and water movement and the fish do like to swim around the outfall of both, but I'd like to provide more. Has anyone any tips on what is the best type to use? I don't know anyone who uses a Venturi, so can't ask.....firstly, here's as much fact about my pond as I can think of, some may not be relevant, I don't know.....

My fish are thriving, and I don't appear to have any health issues that I'm aware of. I've two very big Ghost Koi, three large Golden Orfe, two Blue Orfe, and 17 assorted comets, shubunkins, goldfish....and 'yellowfish'! My pond is planted with several water lilies, elodea and starwort, with a few marginals giving a good 50% surface cover at this time of year. It's in full sun from noon onwards. Apart from the unruly ghosts ripping the starwort to shreds this year, the rest are well behaved! It holds around 15000 UK gallons or thereabouts, being 11x10 x 2.5 ft deep in the centre section with 3 levels. Pond filter system was upgraded two years ago from a box gravity filter with three graded mats which was struggling to do it's job now the fish have grown considerably to a more beefy Hozelock Bioforce Revolution 9000 with an integrated 24watt UV, powered by an Aquaforce 6000 pump. It's working brilliantly, is easy and quick to clean, and it keeps my water clear.

Regarding the venturis, I've seen one type that doesn't need a pump or electric but works using the in pond pump. Water flows from the pump through a wide tube, then through a restricted section of pipe where a snorkel type tube sticks up above the water level, this draws in the air due to lower pressure. The flow of water then goes through a wide tube and into the pond, nicely aerated....this is how I understand if to work, I may be wrong! Info says this can only be used with a gravity fed system, however, mine is a pressurised filter sunk into the ground at the top of the waterfall and I have an in pond pump. It would be nice to use a system that doesn't use electric obviously, but I assume I can't use this style?

The second type are the separate pump powered ones with air stones. I've read reviews and am more confused than before.

Thirdly, there's the solar powered ones. Judging by the amount of air my tiny panel provides, I need one with a panel the size of the pond to get a decent amount!

I have no idea which to go for. Sun isn't always guaranteed here, and from what I do know the oxygen can be depleted at night when obviously the solar gizmos don't operate. Do the pumps have to be kept inside if I decide they're the best type to buy? I have a weatherproof pump house that houses the filter and electrics for my pond systems and my garden lights about 8ft or so from the pond edge.

Sorry for such a long post, I have no one to ask, and the guys at the nearest pond shop are, I feel, only interested in making a sale or puffing away on their E-cigarette. Has anyone got any suggestions as to which type is a good reliable brand, what to look out for, or to avoid......bearing in mind I'm UK based? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
OK, no replies, forget it, I've bought one anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sorry @moby - I read your post and had nothing useful to add as I don't know venturis from Venturas! I did chuckle at your "puffing away on their E-cigarette" comment though!

Give us a review when you get your venturi installed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Lisa, no worries, sorry for the comment I made, but had just returned from a disaster of a visit to my aged dementia wracked mum in the Nursing Home and was feeling really disillusioned with everything and everyone I guess.
Decided to go with the easy option and get a regular air pump as opposed to a Venturi, It should arrive at the weekend, so I'll be sure to let you know, thanks :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, air pump has arrived and been installed, nothing too fancy, it's a Hozelock 320 model, just had to close my eyes and poke a finger at the 'puter screen to pick one, as no suggestions came in :-/
Would now like to ask....whats the best time to operate it, which time is the oxygen at its lowest levels, day, night, dusk, dawn or even 24/7 as it's low rated power wise but has good reviews for giving some added water movement and Oxygen. I know my fish revel in the bubble column from the solar one so thought this model would be a good starter, can always add more. Would have thought daytime as that's when the water temp gets to its highest...? Then I've also read around dusk and dawn in one article, and night elsewhere! 24/7 would have all angles covered. Do you guys run them during the colder winter months, I know it will need to be raised up at that time of year so as not to pull up the colder water from the bottom. Thanks in anticipation......:whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would guess that a venturi would function much like a waterfall or other aeration, right? I can't see any reason not to run it 24/7, especially if the power usage is low.

@Meyer Jordan - any experience with running a venturi in a pond?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would guess that a venturi would function much like a waterfall or other aeration, right? I can't see any reason not to run it 24/7, especially if the power usage is low.

@Meyer Jordan - any experience with running a venturi in a pond?

The use of a venturi in a pond will hardly make any difference in the level of Dissolved Oxygen compared to a waterfall or even a small fountain.
They are typically used in aquariums because of the low surface area to depth ratio.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies.
The fact that mine is a regular air pump with air stones as I mentioned above, opposed to a Venturi makes no difference, they both give the same end result. I already have a waterfall which creates a good amount of surface water movement.
Personally I don't desire a fountain....it would have to pass through the net which is small weave...I have lots of water lilies so I don't want water spraying over them constantly....my pump doesn't have two outlets....my property is located in a windy location, spray travels and would add even more evaporation than I already get....an airpump seemed an easy option.
Having read many posts on here there seem to be a lot of folks who do have and like them. So, as I see it, the fish themselves don't get the benefit of any extra oxygen it may provide, but at least the bacteria that help to fight green water syndrome should benefit....no? Not that I have green water...and the fish get to play in the bubbles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ahhh! Completely mis-read that @moby ! So you went with air stones INSTEAD of the venturi! Gotcha!

We run our air stones at night - they are on a dusk to dawn timer - but there's no reason why you couldn't run them all day if you prefer. Often when it's really hot or we've stirred up the water in any way, I'll turn the aerator on - I don't know that it really makes a difference, but it makes ME feel better! And our fish enjoy the bubbles, too. I don't know if it's just the novelty they enjoy, or they way it feels or what, but they all line up and take turns swimming through the bubble streams!

Hope that helps!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The fact that mine is a regular air pump with air stones as I mentioned above, opposed to a Venturi makes no difference, they both give the same end result.

As to both providing additional Oxygen to the water column, yes, there is no difference. But if one is considering the amount of Oxygen added to the water column, an aerator provides a much greater amount.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
No problem Lisa, it happens! I agree entirely with what you say above.
Thanks Meyer for your input too.
What would we do without the GPF?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
my pump has venturi option at the output just after the pump so it can be used with the waterfall , i think it will just add little bit air but not that much compared to a dedicated airpump , can u show me pic what u mean by that venturi tube?
airstorm4.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question