Adding a waterfall - no filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
My 5 year old has persuaded me to add a waterfall of some description to our newish wildlife pond.

No fish in there, and I have no filter other than plants.

I've removed all of the plants surrounding the pond in this picture as I'm adding rocks to the edge and building up a rockery at the back of the pond, so I can easily add a small pool for the waterfall to come from.

The pond itself is about 3.5m x 1.5m and about 1m deep at the most. I don't really have room for a waterfall pump to sit in the water, so I presume I can get one that will sit out of the water, with only the pipes in it.

Any general advice on waterfalls would be great. I'm hoping to have it fall just a few inches, but other than that I'm open to ideas.

Attachments

• Pond - Oct 16.JPG
    Pond - Oct 16.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Reaction score
A pump outside the pond is not a good idea. You would be better off putting in a skimmer and putting the pump in the skimmer. As for the falls you can buy a pre made one or just make it out of rocks. If you make one you will need to put some liner in and around the rocks to keep the water going were you want it to and not back into the ground. Also think about how you want the finished product to look. In other words I wouldn't build a hill in the middle of the yard and have water coming out of it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sucking water into a pump may be the problem as any debris sucked into it will clog the pump without some type of prefilter

Ask a Question