Adding a Waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Okay, so, i need help: i found a tutorial on how to build up a waterfall using blocks, and i did it, and i like how it looks, it's nice and level, but now i have a question.... how do i build up around the edges so the water doesn't flow over them? The tutorial had dirt piled around the blocks to form a small edge, but i think you can see where that may be a problem in the space i'm using.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I would like to avoid building a retaining wall around it, again due to space. If i can't figure it out then i'm back to just a one or two tier fall and i really like the three tier.....

There will be liner, and maybe rock-on-a-roll, on top of the concrete blocks and then flagstone on top of that. The flagstone pieces are almost the width of the blocks. You can see my dilemma. I tried bricks, but they're too wide, and setting them on the narrow side makes them too unstable.

IMG_1432.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Don't understand what you actually want. But you can try tiny mortar walls around the edges, it'll stop the water falling off those blocks. It'll look beautiful I think

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I guess i didn't describe it that great.... hard to explain though! I needed to make a channel for the water to flow down. The tutorials i've found show the path of the falls built into a hill of dirt so that the liner goes up and over an edge so it forms a water proof path that the water can flow down. Rocks are then placed on the edges to anchor the liner and direct water flow. Since i can't put a bunch of dirt back there i needed another option to make those edges.

I think i figured it out, though, after dropping the flagstone on my fingers a few times! First attempt leaked, of course, but i rearranged it and it appears to flow better and no leaks that i can find. Now i have to figure out how to blend in the end of the liner that dangles over the pond (suggestions on that would be nice, too). I'll take and post a photo in a few minutes....

I'm one of those people who is super paranoid about things falling in and/or leaking, but i think this works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
IMG_1435.JPG

This is what i came up with.

Any suggestions for making the water flow better over the bottom stone? And what to do with the liner sticking out at the bottom?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Its tough to tune waterfalls. But, if you tilt the last stone a few degrees down it'll flow more over the falls than around them. Just cut the excess liner off, save it for later. The sound is whats important when building falls, you want it to sound natural.

Ask a Question