adding fish to a water feature pond

Reaction score
I have a 2 pond water feature. The main pond is 2000 gal oval 18" deep. Above that is a smaller pond about 400 gal with a water fall to the large pond. There is no skimmer, no bottom drain. No filtration. The pool man takes care of cleaning it. Right now there is a submersible pump returning the water to the small upper pond. What's the minimum I would need to do to introduce fish to the lower pond.

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well if your pool man is maintaining it, he is most likely using chemicals. You will need to see what he has been using and either do a water change or add dechlor to the water.

You could add a lot of plants to the upper pond to make it a plant filter for the lower pond. Or you could read the diy section on building filters, you can make one that is not to expensive that will take care of that pond for you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true what addy says the pool man will make it easy to clean by putting chemicals in and it could be a toxic mix .They do the same thing to pondless waterfalls to keep it sparkling clean and they usually use bleach .I would check first and you will need a filter if you are adding fish .I know that from seeing a few here at garden shows and asking them what they use .They said it was cheaper than pool chemicals and since they use so little it doesn't cost them as much .I was looking at a pondless waterfall kit at a garden show this past spring .

Reaction score
Thank you for you replies. Yes, the pool guy has a chlorinator floating in the big pond. I like the idea of using the upper pond as a filter. I will look into that. And the chemicals have to go, got it. Thanks
Aloha

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for you replies. Yes, the pool guy has a chlorinator floating in the big pond. I like the idea of using the upper pond as a filter. I will look into that. And the chemicals have to go, got it. Thanks
Aloha

Make sure you test your water even after removing the chlorinator, make sure all chlorine is gone before you add any fish

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Oh and if there are rocks on the bottom of your pond you may need to get rid of them .I know a lot of people in Hawaii use a lot of lava rock in there ponds and that could be rough for fish .But geeze I wish I had access to some of your real lava rock for my filters our so called lava rock here is just really clinkers .It's alright but I have a friend on the big isle over there and he uses real lava rock in his filters and his pond is sparkling clean all the time .I met him at the the car show 20 years ago when I was there representing women and Ford Motor Company

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh and if there are rocks on the bottom of your pond you may need to get rid of them .I know a lot of people in Hawaii use a lot of lava rock in there ponds and that could be rough for fish .But geeze I wish I had access to some of your real lava rock for my filters our so called lava rock here is just really clinkers .It's alright but I have a friend on the big isle over there and he uses real lava rock in his filters and his pond is sparkling clean all the time .I met him at the the car show 20 years ago when I was there representing women and Ford Motor Company

Ask your friend if we can all fly over and stay with him to visit his pond sissy!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish I could afford too would love it .The last time I talked to him via puter he was talking about putting the house up for sale as he told me his homeowners insurance is killing his savings from retirement .He told me it is the hurricane insurance they have to get and plus the upkeep of the place over there is not cheap .It took him 6 month's just to get a fridge .He said everything corrodes because of the salt .He has to replace faucets and lights because of it .Guess there's a big downfall to living by the ocean .The beauty is great but the money it cost you is not .I have only seen pics of his house in the last couple of years .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can understand that, we have a condo on the intercostal, ocean a spit away, everything does corrodes, but sure do love that water view!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh water views are nice for sure but with the cost going up for it I will stay with my mountain view and visit friends who live near the ocean and I get to enjoy it for free and then go home to my cheap view .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol sissy no kidding, our cost is not that bad, since we are not on the ocean.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Aloha

The top pond sounds like it would make a great bio filter. And with your temps I'm sure the algae eating plants will love it. Then you can fill the bottom pond with tropical lilies and make us all swoon.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will be so pretty when done! I can just visualize those hawaii plants flowing over the top pond, filtering the water and crystal clear water in the bottom pond!

Ask a Question