Adding height to preformed pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New here! Looking for some advice, I’ve got a preformed pond sunk into the ground and looking to raise the depth by adding walls. What would be a good way to go about it? I was thinking of adding a brick wall around the pond and adding a plastic liner to fill in over the existing preformed pond and up the new walls. What do you think?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Why not just dig a slightly deeper hole and get some good liner (EPDM, not plastic) to make it a lined pond. Use the preform for something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ditto what Mmathis said; you'll be further ahead and probably less work, too.

smilie-sword-twirl-masked.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
adding a plastic liner to fill in over the existing preformed pond and up the new walls
The problem with that is water could possibly get behind the new liner and start to fill up the preform, pushing up the liner. You could drill holes in the preform to keep from happening.

I had preforms, they shifted over winters, got unlevel, cracked. I yanked dug the hole deeper and as wide as the space allowed and put in liner. Easy since you already have a hole started.

Reaction score
Country
United States
New here! Looking for some advice, I’ve got a preformed pond sunk into the ground and looking to raise the depth by adding walls. What would be a good way to go about it? I was thinking of adding a brick wall around the pond and adding a plastic liner to fill in over the existing preformed pond and up the new walls. What do you think?
Agree with above, dig deeper and use a good liner. Perhaps use the preformed for a bog filter?
And, welcome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

IamIVIax

I also have a few shallow preformed ponds. what I have learned in the short time using them is they DO NOT like to be altered or mended. If you can get anything to stick to the pond itself it will not stick to what ever you use to extend the depth of your pond. I have tried epoxy, silicon, Pvc primer and glue not much will adhere to the ponds plastic long term.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9b: 25°F to 20°F
Country
United States
I had two preformed ponds side by side for years until they cracked so I ditched them. Dug the hole deeper to make one larger pond. Used some sand, pond lining fabric and then the good black epdm liner. I wanted the level to be above ground to see my fish while sitting at the patio table. So I stacked the trapezoid shaped retaining wall blocks( for curving the walls) four blocks tall on the ground a foot outside of my hole to give a plant shelf, I even stair stepped the closest part of the pond with extra bricks so that a dog could climb out if they fell in. Wrap the liner over the bricks and down the outside. Top with Rock Wall sheeting ( it is like a cloth covered in rock looking stucco for ponds.) then top the blocks, cloth, liner and rock wall with decorative bricks. I used an outside skimmer filter box that has a tunnel that goes through the top layers of bricks in the back side and a fast waterfall on the opposite side. and I am happy to say that it keeps my pond clear and clean year around. A few decritive rocks at the inside bottom and along the curves to hold the liner in place. Leveling all the blocks was the hardest part. It has been three years and I love love my pond.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/media/1126211148a-jpg.5420/full

Last edited:

Ask a Question