Adding new Koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 3500 gallon pond with 1 very large albino catfish and 2 medium size Koi, which all were raised in the pond together. I have 2 new 4" Koi in quarantine which I want to add to my pond but was concerned if the catfish will eat them ... any thoughts

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593562515328.gif
@SweeTee

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 3500 gallon pond with 1 very large albino catfish and 2 medium size Koi, which all were raised in the pond together. I have 2 new 4" Koi in quarantine which I want to add to my pond but was concerned if the catfish will eat them ... any thoughts
How big is the catfish?
My catfish "casper" is approximately 20 inches long.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have channel catfish that is about 2’ long and it is in my pond with all kinds of little fish it could suck down no problem. It ignores all of them, have to admit I was hoping it would help with population control but nope.

Bottom line It probably could eat them, but if it is well fed it will probably leave them alone.

L

Lin

In the book I have, it says not to have native and domestic fish together. Part of the reason it creates the inability to fight off disease.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Native and domestic fish kept to gather doesn’t create an inability to fight off disease. It exposes both fish to diseases they may not have an immunity to, but you take that chance introducing new fish in general to your pond depending on who you get them from.

The biggest problem mixing native fish with koi and gold fish is the natives are exposed to diseases they would not come in contact with in nature. Then many end up releasing the native fish back into the wild thinking its no big deal. In most states/countries it is illegal to release any fish into the wild once it is introduced into a pond or aquarium setting.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That’s a good reason to give away the cat fish. Cat Fish and koi is not a combination.
Disagree with the last statement there is no harm in keeping them together. Been mixed together in my ponds for over a decade without issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have channel catfish that is about 2’ long and it is in my pond with all kinds of little fish it could suck down no problem. It ignores all of them, have to admit I was hoping it would help with population control but nope.

Bottom line It probably could eat them, but if it is well fed it will probably leave them alone.
Same here my albino channel cat has grown from 2" 3 years ago to about 18" today he fights for food with the koi while my black channel cat doesn't bother with feeding he just gets the waste and other goodies. i have never seen any aggression between the koi and the cats

L

Lin

That Book! Bummer! I was flooded out in 2011 and all my Koi and Goldfish washed away. A Channel Catfish ended up in my pond so I did not restock. He died after a couple of years, unknown cause. He looked healthy. I hope he didn't die because he was lonely. He was the only fish I had in there because of that book.

Reaction score
Disagree with the last statement there is no harm in keeping them together. Been mixed together in my ponds for over a decade without issue.
But, are they big koi? They won’t bother big koi, only the little guys and fry...My friend bought three
expensive little koi...The next day his koi were gone. It was an expensive snack for the catfish.
After that the catfish was given away.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
But, are they big koi? They won’t bother big koi, only the little guys and fry...My friend bought three
expensive little koi...The next day his koi were gone. It was an expensive snack for the catfish.
After that the catfish was given away.

Nope there are alot of fry and juvenile koi, goldfish and orfes in the pond, the catfish could suck them down like lifesavers. However, it doesn’t maybe it’s just lazy. The little guys are swimming around right next to the catfish like they are buddies or something. Also, have 6 Diamondback terrapins in the pond, they ignore the fish as well. I would take either one eating the little guys, I don’t need my pond to get overpopulated. Honestly, I didnt expect much out of the turtles because in a large pond they have zero shot of catching a healthy fish no matter the size. Had hopes for the catfish, but whatever he can stay even if it doesn’t do it’s intended job.

L

Lin

Native and domestic fish kept to gather doesn’t create an inability to fight off disease. It exposes both fish to diseases they may not have an immunity to, but you take that chance introducing new fish in general to your pond depending on who you get them from.

The biggest problem mixing native fish with koi and gold fish is the natives are exposed to diseases they would not come in contact with in nature. Then many end up releasing the native fish back into the wild thinking its no big deal. In most states/countries it is illegal to release any fish into the wild once it is introduced into a pond or aquarium setting.
That is probably what happened to Native American Tribes way back when....

Ask a Question