Adding on to pond

Reaction score
We are enlarging an existing pond. What is recommended to join two liners? One older liner to a new section. Did a search and found nothing. Thanks.

Reaction score
That's really not recommended at all. You could put in a completely new pond and join the two with a 4"-6" pipe for the fish to swim through.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unless you really know what you are doing, it almost always will leak. Double side tape, heat guns, adhesive, making an s of the two liners to make them "grip" each other with adhesive, are ways I have heard of people doing it. The deeper the joint is the more water pressure on it, the more likely it might leak.

I would buy a new liner or make two ponds that join below surface (a fish creek) , buy the new liner big enough to go into the old pond over the edge and seal it there.

Reaction score
Not sure if it would be any easier to seal a 4-6" fish tunnel through the side of a liner than a joint? Was planning on joining at a small creek that runs around an existing island. Thinking of only a 12-18" section that would overlap and need to be joined where the new pool would flow into the creek. So water depth would only be about 6" at the joint. If not help me explain to the better half, it is her idea!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That should work just fine. Make sure you clean the current liner well, use some good sealant, let it cure. Clean with some acetone.

I have not used this stuff, but have heard great things about it.

B0wJUGEWkKGrHqZjIErF-enepBMbq8uhUgg.jpg

I have used this without issues.

d8cdacfd-0203-4ec9-9a72-58091d07ec2-1.jpg

Reaction score
My first attempt at adding on with seaming failed after our first freeze. I read and read and failed in execution. I attempted the s thing with double sided tape and pl roof flashing.

I am getting ready to seam scraps I have to make the u shape for the wrap around bog at my pond away from pond. Lessons learned from the last year?

- clean clean clean and scrub some more
- use a seam roller on the tape and the pl to get a very good seal
- brace and clamp from both sides
- work on a very flat surface
- provide rain protection while curing

This time instead of the s thingie, I think I am going to do an 8" or so overlapping seam. Then I am going to patch the exposed edge on the top and bottom.

Hmmm ... Maybe it would be more cost effective to buy a rectangular used billboard and discard the middle???

thepondlady

Pondlady
Reaction score
Try just using two liners and build your second pond with a common wall with the first. You will be the only one who knows there are really two ponds. Use two pumps and use the common wall for your waterfalls.

Ask a Question