Adding Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good morning, this will be my second year with a pond, and my first year coming out of a winter. My question is in regards to when the best time is to begin adding new plants for the pond this year. It's a small pond, so I only plan for a bit of hyacinth, and perhaps a water lilly or two.

On an exciting (for me) note, as I was cleaning out some of the winter much last night, I found a few baby fish in my net, and all of my fish seem to have survived the winter. I consider that a small victory for my first time out.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can add hardy plants any time it is convenient.

Tender tropical plants, wait for your last frost to pass, hmmm? There's a big cold blast likely, mid March, with borderline frosts all month

Aquatic iris are good timing :)

13 march cold blast.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yay for baby fish! Soon you will be saying "OH NO MORE BABY FISH!" Haha!

Wait for the weather to get warm and stay warm before you add your hyacinth. They like it hot and really wont do much until it's reliably warm anyway. You can put hardy lilies in any time it's warm enough for you to be out and working around the pond though. They will handle the cooler weather and water better. They won't do much growing until the water warms up so there's really no harm in waiting.

How big is your pond? Have you posted any photos? We love pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi Feddy, I'm new here and poking around the forums. Do you have a local garden center that stocks water hyacinth? at my old house, I'd start calling them in mid-April. Whenever they had it, it was safe to put it in my pond.
Congratulations on overwintering the fish, and babies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
After that big bad mid March blast, the water hyacinth are just beginning to look perky again with a week or so of uninterrupted growing outdoors, the first brand spanking new baby offsets will be due in the next week or two

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yay for baby fish! Soon you will be saying "OH NO MORE BABY FISH!" Haha!

Wait for the weather to get warm and stay warm before you add your hyacinth. They like it hot and really wont do much until it's reliably warm anyway. You can put hardy lilies in any time it's warm enough for you to be out and working around the pond though. They will handle the cooler weather and water better. They won't do much growing until the water warms up so there's really no harm in waiting.

How big is your pond? Have you posted any photos? We love pictures!

Oh, how I agree, Lisa
They sure multiply! I'll be asking about this to ya'll on a month or so!!! Alison

Ask a Question