Adding salt

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only reason that salt might be needed in a pond is for treating ich. But there are medications for that so most folks these days never use salt.

Years ago, it was recommended. Not the case today.

Why are you wanting to salt your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I able to provide you with a good enough reason, can you advise me on the meter?
Basically we did the medication thing, and now the slime coat looks "milky" or "foggy". Many people have advised adding salt for this since we have already dealt with possible parasites. I did a scraping and saw nothing suspicious under a microscope.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Don’t think that one is going to read low enough for what you want, those are meant for reef/saltwater tanks. I would look into a digital one, that can read below one in percentages if you are going the salt route.

but agree with @WaterGardener I wouldn’t treat my entire pond with it, would try to remove fish to a hospital tank to treat. If you have plants in your pond treating with salt will kill them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Salt would only increase their slime coat production and make them more.milky looking. That is their natural response to any irritation in the water like salt.

How are your water parameters?

I agree with jhn. You need a digital salt meter.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
  • Salinity Meter

Click image to open expanded view

this is the one I used when I kept my koi pond salted. I still have it but do not use it as I no longer add salt to my ponds.
  • 21BaRvgQYzL._AC_US40_.jpg

Salinity Meter

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for everyone's help! I had my water tested and it was fine. I think I should get my own test kit. Should I get API Freshwater pr Pond master test kit?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Salt is a beneficial tool to use for fish in certain situations, but the most up to date recommendations are to use a salt dip (salt in a bin or tank, put affected fish in for a few minutes, return to pond) rather than adding salt to the entire pond. Two reasons are: 1. using salt continuously is like overusing antibiotics. The parasites that you are trying to treat the fish for will develop a tolerance and then you've lost effectiveness for the future and 2. in a garden pond, salt can negatively affect plants.

The information I have read regarding salt baths also indicate that a plus is you can use a much higher level of salt for a shorter period of time, which is more effective than low levels of salt all the time.

Sorry - I know your question was about a salt meter, and I added no useful information to that discussion.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question