Adding the bog

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We braved the rain and put the new pump in and so far so good it pushes the water up and over at a good pace. Had trouble with my skimmer falling over as it pumped what it needed to fill the bog completely so had to readjust that again and block it in so it doesn't do that again until I can get to the rock work. The last pic is of the water just starting to come out of the bog and now it's pouring out at a good pace. My word this has been an adventure! I have an algae bloom trying to start and am hoping with the bog running it will stop it. Hopefully tues I'll be able to get the bog plants in as I don't think it's going to be warm enough tmrw and have to go to work here in an hour. Some one please tell me one day I'll look back at this and laugh...when it's all done that is I'm thinking...(ya we braved the rain and cold temp of 46 degrees)

Attachments

• P4122493.JPG
    P4122493.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 299
  • P4122495.JPG
    P4122495.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that is why we take pictures to remind us of what we did.................the craziness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Mine looks like it's got an algae bloom too. The water is greenish in color. Can't say we've got cold temps here, it's almost 80 today. Good luck with your build, it's really taking shape.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well believe it or not it is now snowing...80 yesterday and snowing tonight and it looks like I wont be able to work on it until thursday...as one employee quit to go to another job as of tmrw and another had to leave state due to her mother and an illness....heck I'll be lucky to have time to sleep this week the way it looks. Oh well I guess at least the weather here sucks for the next couple days...:(

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I drilled a small hole right at the water line of the bog so if I lose power the air is sucked in and it stops the reverse flow after some water drains back in the pond. You will most certainly want a full bore sized valve for the back flush. It may not back flush at first because there isn't much resistance. After a while the build up will start and once you open the valve some yucky will come out until it runs clear. One more thing, be sure and try and stay away from aggressive growing plants like pickerel rush, horse tail, mint, and water celery. They all do a great job the first year but after a couple of years of growing they are a pain to thin out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mint just likes you fishin. It has never really taken off in my bog. Same with the pickerel, 4th summer with it, just now have a few plants growing well. Maybe our hard freezes knocks it back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well for some unknown reason I lost 6" worth of water after filling the bog, but that could be only 3" as I cant even remember how much water was in the pond after adding water to it for the bog (it was getting and or dark) but I did have to unhook the skimmer as it started to suck air. Will reattach it to the pump (3600 gph) when I get a day off to watch it and refill the water level.
I figure I'm not refilling it to just work on the bog again as I am thinking I'm going to take out the 4" block that I have on cinder blocks for the fall's opening and replace them with 2" blocks instead. It's that or finish filling up the bog with the pea gravel I have left because I have at least 5" of water above the pea gravel in the bog. Then I have to still go rock hunting with my rock possie. Let alone plant the bog plants!!!
It's suppose to start warming up again...I'll believe that when I see it, but oh well I've will have worked 10 days in a row tmrw and haven't had time to really get down and dirty with the bog, other than just assembling it and the dirt work. I actually got off at a decent time tonight (5pm) so I was able to pull out a bunch of string algae that I dont want clogging up the pump. Thank goodness for the good ol toilet brush! But my pond still looks like a "war zone"...

Attachments

• P4162499.JPG
    P4162499.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 264
  • P4162500.JPG
    P4162500.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 283
  • P4162501.JPG
    P4162501.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 261

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looks good and glad you are going to get nice weather to finish .Mine looked worse than a war zone and yours looks pretty neat to me

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well shoot the video didn't load lol here is today's water clarity after spending yesterday cleaning out string moss and gunk...cant seem to get the video to load will post a video to youtube and copy and paste the url I guess

Attachments

• P4182517.JPG
    P4182517.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well it's been about a month since I've had a chance to be on here and or even think about walking out to my pond to say hi to my fishkids....as I had to have open heart surgery (unexpectedly) for a valve I was born without I didn't know about and a 4 way bypass. I'm finally up and moving around not fast but am getting there and it annoys me to no end that I haven't been able to work on my ponds waterfall/new bog, but my youngest son come to clean my pump and the skimmer all the time for me, and my other half has planted things in and around the bog with my supervision this past week. Hopefully in another month or two I'll be as good as new and back to working in my pond/yard! Although I've been told I wont be mowing for at least 5/6 months to allow my sternum/ribs that are wired together to heal....darn lol

Ask a Question