addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So glad you are doing fine! Take care of that chest, the yard, grass, pond can all wait.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Rebelangel, how's the bog going? I know you've been down with surgery but I just wanted to check in. I had a question about your pond pump when you put your bog in.
Hope you're healing up and ready for fall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The bog is doing great. Next spring I will plant more in it as this year sorta was all screwed up thanks to the surgery. My pond has been crystal clear (after issues this spring with all the rain) and I believe it's all due to the bog. My pump is a 3600 gph TETRA high capacity pump I purchased at Menards. I'm sure the waterfall will push out better than it looks on these pics when I get the waterfall done and channel the water to the center (next spring).

Attachments

• securedownload (6).jpg
    securedownload (6).jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 235
  • yard 9 2 2014 011.JPG
    yard 9 2 2014 011.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 239
  • yard 9 2 2014 028.JPG
    yard 9 2 2014 028.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 229

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looks great! Did you have to go with a larger pump to get the water to travel up through the gravel originally? I thought I had read that So glad you are feeling better, it sounds like you had a pretty intense surgery and recovery.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes after trying my smaller pump we decided to make a run and get a larger pump which has worked great all summer. There is a 2' incline and about 10' of 2" hose that go into the bog, but there is a nice stream of water that flows. Hopefully next spring I'll have this all done and it'll have an even faster flow when I get the water to channel to the center, as right now it flows off to the sides and over the top rock. Expect to get at least another 50 or so rocks to finish the waterfall and alot of places to foam to get the channeling accomplished (with no wicking hopefully lol).
Yup CABG surgery is no fun thats for sure...and takes quite awhile for the sternum to heal back together. I still cant lift anything heavy, and have to watch how I twist/turn/bend, but have come along way since May. I'm a "doer" and this summer has been a challenge in that respect for sure in waiting and telling the other half and my youngest son what I wanted done and how I wanted it done for that matter...um I made no friends lol.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I understand, being unable to be active for an active person stinks but I'm sure the hubby and son understand, or at least are dealing with it since they haven't murdered you in your sleep.. :D Take it slow, I keep having to remind myself that ponding is like Rome, it wasn't built in a day. LOL
Thanks for the pump info, it's good to know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can also improve your flow by decreasing the size of your outlet. The same amount of water being pushed through a smaller channel will appear to be a greater flow... if that makes sense. A pond we saw had a bog that was designed to flow over the entire front side. He wasn't happy with the appearance, so he added a few rocks along the front edge to create a several smaller outlets and the results were great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yw...I have to thank everyone in here that blogged about bogs as it was their insite that helped me tremendously in building mine! I know the other half and my son cringe when they see me coming lol and know I'm going to say hey can you move this here or do this or that lol, but they haven't ran as fast as they can "yet.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The "blog about bogs".. Hehe, I like it and I agree, I wouldn't have even considered a bog had I not found this forum and all the great people on it.
And look at it this way rebelangel, when it's all said and done, they can say they helped. :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The "blog about bogs".. Hehe, I like it and I agree, I wouldn't have even considered a bog had I not found this forum and all the great people on it.
And look at it this way rebelangel, when it's all said and done, they can say they helped. :)
If it's a pond bog, would that make it a "Pog Blog," or just a "Bog Blog?" A "Bond Blog,"..... a "Plog?"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wouldn't have even considered a bog had I not found this forum and all the great people on it.

And that right there is the reason I constantly throw my two cents in anytime someone posts negative, erroneous, or incomplete information about bog filtration. We searched for information online and found nothing from people who were actually running bog filters - just stuff from people who don't like bogs. We forged on anyway after seeing a few bogs in person and meeting the owners who were extremely happy with their bogs and we are so glad we did! I fear I may come off as argumentative or confrontational on the subject which is not my intent. I just want people who may be starting a build to hear that there are varying opinions on the subject. And that we love our bog!

Reaction score
....We searched for information online and found nothing from people who were actually running bog filters - just stuff from people who don't like bogs........

This post really resonated with me......and by no means am I intending to "knock" the Koi forums or the Koi-centric pond community -- there are lots of wonderful and helpful Koi-keepers out there -- but I so often read just how *bad* bogs are from people who have never ever seen a bog filtered pond (good or bad outcome), let alone actually used a bog themselves.

Ask a Question