Adding to existing pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi everyone. Im thinking about adding a 3 foot section of liner to my existing liner. Has anyone done this successfully and what pointers do you have? The current liner is about 12 years old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Idk...seems like it would be a lot of trouble for a mere 3 feet.
I guess it depends on exactly what you mean. Do you mean 3 feet of liner or making the pond 3 feet wider (or longer)?

If you only need 3 feet of liner in order to add a waterfall for instance, you don't need to seam it. You can overlap it without any concerns as long as you have a good overlap. This is how I added my bog to my existing pond. I had a couple of feet of the existing liner that previously lined a waterfall. I placed that existing overlap over the bog/pond wall. Then overlapped the new bog liner on that and extended that all the way down into the pond water. I didn't use any sealant. No leaks at all.
Some people run a bead of PL-S300 caulking between the liners. It comes in a tube you use in a caulking gun.

Adding to a liner certainly can be done, but you have to have the right materials to match your type of liner and the seams need to be totally clean, dry and no wrinkles.

What material is your existing liner made of? EPDM?

You have to figure out if it's worth it, considering the chance of failure. It's no fun tracking down a leak, especially if it's in the dead of winter. Ask me how I know....:(

Personally, since you're into the existing pond for 12 years, I would wait until that liner needs replacement then go bigger, if that is your intention.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can add a seam and then you can seam the seam insuring years and years without issue the who what and hows can be found in the link below

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you for your replies. given the age of my EPDM liner of 12+years, may be a good time to replace. what to do with my very large koi while doing the liner replacement???

Reaction score
Country
United States
Idk...seems like it would be a lot of trouble for a mere 3 feet.
I guess it depends on exactly what you mean. Do you mean 3 feet of liner or making the pond 3 feet wider (or longer)?

If you only need 3 feet of liner in order to add a waterfall for instance, you don't need to seam it. You can overlap it without any concerns as long as you have a good overlap. This is how I added my bog to my existing pond. I had a couple of feet of the existing liner that previously lined a waterfall. I placed that existing overlap over the bog/pond wall. Then overlapped the new bog liner on that and extended that all the way down into the pond water. I didn't use any sealant. No leaks at all.
Some people run a bead of PL-S300 caulking between the liners. It comes in a tube you use in a caulking gun.

Adding to a liner certainly can be done, but you have to have the right materials to match your type of liner and the seams need to be totally clean, dry and no wrinkles.

What material is your existing liner made of? EPDM?

You have to figure out if it's worth it, considering the chance of failure. It's no fun tracking down a leak, especially if it's in the dead of winter. Ask me how I know....:(

Personally, since you're into the existing pond for 12 years, I would wait until that liner needs replacement then go bigger, if that is your intention.
ok - your pond is amazing. WOW

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thank you for your replies. given the age of my EPDM liner of 12+years, may be a good time to replace. what to do with my very large koi while doing the liner replacement???
kiddie pool and a nat or a sheet of plywood over the top of it keep it from jumping out. and an air stone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Still growing and learning, The best advise is watch your pond your fish, keep notes maybe and observe what works or what causes issues.

Thanks @poconojoe

Ask a Question