Adding Water, Plants And Fish To A Pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 and @Meyer Jordan Regarding the depth for a bog..... You know, I've read 12" forever so that's what I've gone by, but when you think about it, your distribution tubing [manifold] is going to be at the bottom of the bog, moving water upwards. That means that the bottom isn't really a void, though there might be channeling that could contribute to some anaerobic activity. When I made my "turtle bog," I went with 12" depth. My bog is set up where the plants and deeper gravel are around the perimeter, leaving a several inch deep pool in the center for the turtles. While the water is clear, if I disturb the gravel, there is a lot of sediment at all levels and that sediment will immediately travel out and into the pond (but only when disturbed -- again, the water itself is clear). Have never noticed an odor, which is good. We're planning now for our "real" bog filter so I'm going to rethink that 12" depth.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I pulled n iris out of an abandoned pond at a foreclosure house for a realtor and it pulled the liner out and had to stop and get fish out first and then hook the chain back up to my truck and pull and it was tough and really heavy .Got it in the bed of my truck after it attacked me several times but I won and I survived the iris attack ;):)I looked like pig that had laid in a mud puddle and rolled in it .
LOL!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey they say a mud pack is good for the skin ,not sure that type mud or the smell .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I drilled holes and I kept them downwards as well as others advised. I didn't plug the ends of the tubing and hopefully I won't regret that.

My tubing is between 1 to 2 thirds down the gravel.

Time will tell......

IMG_9386.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our bog is four feet deep - just ask my boys. They dug it for me! However, a good deal of the space is occupied by a pump vault, a centipede, and a matrix block. Then there's a good layer of softball sized rocks before you get to the gravel layer. So probably 1.5 to 2 feet of gravel.

I made the mistake of letting an iris get too big in my bog. My son was doing some other work for me while I fought with it to get it out. He said later he didn't even know I knew those words! Took me the better part of a half day, but I won. And lesson learned!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put my slits down so the gravel could not fall into them and block flow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
the water just hit 65 today in my garage tanks

do I need to start feeding the fish? I'm still about 2 weeks from finishing the outdoor pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just make sure you test water and in my sick fish stock tanks I use quilt batting in a crate to control ammonia .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
silly question, but how long is the digestion cycle for fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've just started feeding them very little, but they don't seem all that interested though
I'll do a water test tonight, digging taking twice as long as expected so they will be in garage a little longer
looks like this will be a month long project instead, I'll be away in July so I've got to get this done soon
so much to do in the spring along with the garden, deer fence, etc...

Ask a Question