adding water

springknee

1000 gal pond 2200gph pump
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I'm sure this is on here some place. How do you add city water to top it off when you have fish in it?. My old pond was only around a hundred gallons and i just filled an extra stock tank and let set a couple of days before adding. But since my new pond is around 1000 gallons i'm not sure what to do.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well you could do the same with the stock tank or a 55 gallon barrel.
But in a pond that has been up and running for a while and has truly cycled.
And the pond has not evaporated more then Say 25% then.
Well this is what I do
I refill from the house (my City water is pretty good a little phos) I just put in Declor where the water is coming out of the hose.

If you have to add a lot of water add a little at a time and declor and add a little more.
This will help letting the fish get used to the temp changes and the declor to do it's job.

Ruben

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
How much are you going to add ?

If you are chlorine only and not chloramines you can fill it back up with the house running slow and mixing with the water from the falls or pump outlet. We do this because fish tend to stick their nose right up the hose.

If the pond is fairly new I would add dechlore to the pond for the amount of water you want to add In as older pond there are enough organics in the water to take of the chlorine.

An alternative is to buy a filter for on the water tap that will remove chlorine. I do recall someone here was disappointed with short life.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Give your local water municipality building a phone call. Sometimes they will till you the rate of water exchange, for the chlorine to properly dissipated, until it is classified as toxic to fish. Just remember city water may also use chloramines, which do not dissipate out of the water due to a chemical bind it has with ammonia; for chloramines, definitely must use a chlorine neutralizer or dechlorinator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
By yourself a good dechlorinator/chloramines unit to fit on the end of your hose pipe they last for 10,000 or so Gallons UK/US before changing cartridges which are inexpensive to replace see link to UK site:-

http://www.vyair.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=68

They are also available on your side of the pond and they make good economic sense too

rgrds

Dave

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
a pretty good read on chlorine / chloramines.... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/chlorine-chloramine
From that text

"Deadly"? chloramine. But chloramines have been inflated into a bugaboo by some packagers/distributors of various water "conditioners." Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, for instance, characterizes chloramine as "deadly" in corporate literature. Nevertheless, the not-invariably-"deadly" Chloramine-T is currently being studied by the U.S. government as potentially important to fish hatcheries in controlling bacterial gill disease. Studies at UC Davis have inspired widespread use of Chloramine-T to kill pathogenic bacteria and parasites in koi ponds. A professional assessment I trust is this from John P. Grazek (in Aquariology: Fish Diseases and Water Chemistry, Tetra Press 1992): "The addition of sodium thiosulfate will neutralize both chlorine and chloramine. However, ammonia is released when the sodium thiosulfate combines with the chloramines, and this could be a problem to fish where there is little or no biological filtration."

There is a lot of misunderstanding and fear regarding chlorine and chloramines. If we can ever get past that I think we will have a different viewpoint.

In general I say is there is a potential danger with one method use the other. But I think in the future we may see the controlled use of chlorine as beneficial in our ponds.

What has not been mentioned is that adding chlorinated water to a pond with detectable ammonia level produces a possibly deadly, noxious gas. Not a problem for a cycled pond with sufficient bio filtration.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
WikiHow:
Use vitamin C tablets to dechlorinate water. Depending on the brand, 1 tablet can treat up to 100 gallons of water. Dechlorination tablets work well for bath water and hot tubs.

[SIZE=14.285714149475098px]So if you ever run out of dechlore try you medicine [/SIZE]cabinet[SIZE=14.285714149475098px]. [/SIZE]

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HTH said:
from the text.... "The addition of sodium thiosulfate will neutralize both chlorine and chloramine. However, ammonia is released when the sodium thiosulfate combines with the chloramines, and this could be a problem to fish where there is little or no biological filtration

you said....
What has not been mentioned is that adding chlorinated water to a pond with detectable ammonia level produces a possibly deadly, noxious gas. Not a problem for a cycled pond with sufficient bio filtration.
what "noxious" or toxic gas, aside of chloramine gas is created?
chlorine itself can bind with organics and create tribalmethanes which are believed to be linked to cancers.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
both chlorine and chloramines ( ammonia and chlorine) are added to treat water as gases. so when you have ammonia present in a pond and add chlorine you get chloramine.
with no ammonia, you get plain chlorine gas.
now..read the two quotes in the quote box in my last post...... theirs and yours....

Ask a Question