Adding water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I was told by our local fish hatchery that is was ok to "top off my pond" without adding a conditioner. After reading so much on this and another forum, I now add the conditioner, as it takes such a small amount for piece of mind. I have to be honest and say I topped off for years without conditioner and I still have my original koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I never add water without treating it first. Chlorine and Chloramine will damage the gills of your fish and hurt it's ability to get oxygen from the water. It's something you may not notice right away, but with prelonged damage over time it can lead to the premature death of your fish.

Reaction score
yep... i was told to do two 3/4 pond water changes in two 2 days.... from tap to pond and treated it after filling up the pond. i had one fish with dropsey and this was the overreaction to that, which killed five of the remaining 7 fish. Lesson learned. How do you treat the chloramine ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
yep... i was told to do two 3/4 pond water changes in two 2 days.... from tap to pond and treated it after filling up the pond. i had one fish with dropsey and this was the overreaction to that, which killed five of the remaining 7 fish. Lesson learned. How do you treat the chloramine ?

Always put dechlorinator in the pond or tank just prior to adding new water (use the proper amount for the total volume of water not just the new water being added)

A product like AquaSafe will take care of chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4078

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have Koi but have 20 Goldfish and Orfe. Fwiw I've done 5% and 10% water changes for 5 years every few weeks in the summer and never added conditioner. But I suppose the truth is that water supplies vary - some has more chemical junk in it than others, and if it workd for your peace of mind a conditioner won't do harm either. I should imagine that urban high population density water has a lot more chems than the cheap rural water I have where I am.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are on a well which makes it real easy to add water, just add............lol

I can't do a huge water change though, our well water is very acidic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I actually fill 5 gallon buckets up with water and treat the water and let it sit about one day before putting the water in my pond. I usually have 5 or 6 buckets going at once especially in the spring when I do a lot of water changes. I can really smell the chlorine when I fill my buckets up so I would never think of adding untreated water to my pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to run a trickle into my pond 24/7 in arizona, heavily treated water, it never caused an issue.

Ask a Question