Adequate pump for ~500g garden pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I'm building a simple garden pond in my backyard this summer and am looking for a good pump that will give me solid water turnover and be good for a waterfall feature. I have never had a pond but I know a great deal about aquariums and the equipment associated with it.

First off, what are some good websites and/or brands for pond pumps? I think a submersible pump would be ideal and easiest to install.

Secondly, how powerful of a pump should I get for a 400-500g pond. I will be keeping a turtle and some koi in there and will plant it nicely with native aquatic plants...I live in northeast Ohio so there are some nice options.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks!
Sam

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1586123664383.gif
@snortz21
I like Laguna pumps and I have about a 2500 gal pond and am using a Laguna Max Flo pump 4280 which pumps gph twice the size almost of my pond. You may need to get one twice the size of your pond as you have a turtle in there too. So if your pond is 500 gals you may need a 1000 gph pump. I bought my Laguna pump from Webb's online. Pretty good prices and you could check Amazon or other places to compare. I don't use mine as a fountain, just a filter and then to the falls. Oh and mine is a submersible.

Ask a Question