Admin Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've noticed when I look at the who's on line box it'll show X members, X guests, and X robots. What are the "robots"?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Automated internet thingies that go around posting things and collecting data. Or something like that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Drat!
So I'm guessing windows and some painting is out of the question. Too bad.................

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL, I asked exactly the same question a while back (and they don't clean my house, either -- darn!). I think they also look for specified keywords or phrases. That way the person(s) controling them know to go in and respond -- it's easier to do it that way than to personally look through every message in every board.

I think an example happened to me on here a while back. I found a product on the internet that I wanted to try. I posted about it, to see if any other members knew about it, used it, etc. Almost immediately I had a response from the "company," the entity being a registered member. They said how great it was, etc.........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I suspected as much.
I guess I've known about these things, but this is the first site I've been to that shows how many are lurking in the background. Wonder if there's any significance to the number of them at any given time.
Seems kind of covert.
Let's start a vicious rumor and have them all get excited and implode on themselves!:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed when I look at the who's on line box it'll show X members, X guests, and X robots. What are the "robots"?

Like some of the other members have suggested, the robots are search engines crawling through the pages. You know how when you search for something in Google, you see pages which have only recently been published? Well these robots are how they add new pages to their search databases so quickly.

Hope that answers your question!

Ask a Question