Adopted Goldees are doing ok

Reaction score
I did say I would provide pictures of the Goldees...just didn't know it would take this long. And, it wouldn't have if I hadn't injured myself so bad I was forced to stay still! A couple weeks ago I had gone outside, about 2:am, to turn off my sprinklers (to save a yardsale I'd set up), without a flashlight or working porch light. I know my yard well enough to do that, but it was freezing cold so I went running back to get inside the house. I know my back yard just fine it's my mind that gets lost. I had just neatly piled and stacked all the rocks, blocks and brick in the whole yard...all except one! I now have a capillary fracture on my tibia, just below the knee on, what used to be, my good leg. And, I'm soooo mad at me!
My only computer is a desktop in my office and I have not been able to sit compfortably (too painful) till now. I'm not in a cast, only a splint...at least for now. I'm suppose to stay off of it... I'm doing the best I can, and, well they did give me crutches
But, I did take pics before this happened. And, I check on Goldees every day, plus test the water while I'm out there. They only come out at night, but I have not seen any fish floating so I'm assuming they are all doing ok. At night with a flashlight, I can see all the big ones and some of the little ones. The temperature has been below freezing for the past 10 nights, and up in the 60 degree range during the day, so I have not been feeding them. Should I be with day time temps being that high?
I'm going to have alot of questions, beings this is my first raw attempt at water gardening/lily growing/goldfish ponding/turtles habitat hobbying...and I had no idea there was soooo much to know. But, I have a feeling I may have started something that has the potential of getting out of control.
Cause, look what I did...
turtle eggs 012.jpgturtle eggs 015.jpg

Another pond!
I have a perfectly good reason for doing that. I need it. It would be in my turtles best interest to seperate the male from the female, or at least in her best interest. He won't leave her alone. It took 10 days and about 15 seperate attempts for her to find an appropriate place to lay eggs, this time. That's after digging up half the back yard, building three seperate inclosed areas for her (she didn't like the first two) and bringing in a half truck load of sand. And, finally today, she layed three eggs...that's all! She still has plenty more, I'm sure. This is her 6th or 7th batch and she always lays more than 7. So, tomorrow we will try again...now that the soil conditions will allow for her to dig a deep enough hole.
turtle eggs 006.jpgturtle eggs 003.jpgturtle eggs 008.jpg
This is not the native environment for RES, so the eggs will not survive to be baby turtles. The only right thing to do is to dig them up and discard them, or allow the ants to do it. if I had an incubator I would not have to do that...sad, that I don't.

Here's some pics of what I tranfered the fish in, and releasing them into their new home. I really need to get some plants. That may be a real chore, since there is litterally no place in town that deals with water gardens. Is there a good source online? We usually have early starts on sring weather, in my area. The algae is already beginning to appear, but I am more concerned about the Goldees being comfortable, healthy feeling and being safe.
golfish 002.jpggolfish 005.jpggolfish 017.jpggolfish 025.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep one thing is we do not think at times before running out to do something and fate always intervenes .Nice looking fish and gosh some of them are really small babies .

Reaction score

Every step I take! I go back to the Doc on Wednesday, maybe get a cast then...I don't know, maybe get a good scolding for not sitting still as I should be. So hard for me...sit still.
Thank you for the plant link, addy.
Hope you get well soon . Nice work on the pond, I really like that fence. Where did you get it? Happy ponding. .
Thank you, jupiter. The fence I got used off of Craigs list. I paid 40 bucks, but the panels at home depot are 20 bucks each. And that doesn't include the post or other hardware. I got really lucky on that find. It's nice and easy to move around any way I want it to go.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I was just thinking about you the other day and how things went with the fish move.

Wow!!! Sorry you are hurt
I know it is hard but with that injury you want to listen and stay off it as much as possible, Or it will never heal right.

The pond look and turtles and the goldies look great
Con grates

As for plants do a search on Craglist there might be someone that wants to sell some in your area.

Get well soon
Ruben

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hope you heal quickly 42 so you can be ready for Spring and all the fun to be had! Your turtles and fish look happy and I thought that one picture was potatoes all lined up there in a row. Couldn't figure out what potatoes had to do w/ ponding :LOL:

Reaction score
Good leg, bad leg. Better leg ,worse leg. I'm the better leg today! No, I am!

Jeez legs, give a gal a chance. I can highly endorse forearm crutches. And keep the weight off that break, it's a toughie.

Fish and pond looking great!

I have a barrel tub half buried that I grow my oxygenators in. Got the original plants from petsmart aquarium section.

Reaction score
Thanks you guys for all the positive 'lift me ups' and get wells. I try to trick myself by using the term 'cracked' rather than fractured or broken. That way it doesn't sound as bad...and that is what it is anyways, right? It's a hairline that is from one side to the other, making it a closed fracture. Cracked. But you are so right about wanting it to heal right...and the spring is almost here.
So, that's what I am doing. My neighbor is the best, she is making it easy for me to stay still. Yesterday she brought me a little notepad to use...making another unexcusable reason for me to be up and wandering about.

But, I will still go out to check on the pond and it's habitats every day. And, yesterday my Goldees were all out for the first time during the day :goldfish:
Yay!!

Reaction score
Well my appointment was today (not wednesday, like I said). They did a MRI of my leg. It is NOT cracked all the way through the bone, but there is an inside, closed fracture. The way my Doctor explained it was it is like when a thick piece of, say a decoractive glass sculpture, is dropped but doesn't break. But, after picking it up and looking closer, sometimes there is a crack deep inside the center...or on the edge. But, it's still in one piece. A serious contusion that will..and has weakened the the entire structure of the bone.
In a way, that's good because i won't be laid up in a cast for months. But, on the other hand, because I already have advanced osteoarthritis, if I don't give this the time it needs to heal properly...i'm only asking for it to be a complete fracture next time i accidentally hit, bang, trip, fall, crash, jump or land on something wrong.
It takes as long to heal as any other fracture does, and no matter how I asked or what my questions were...I could not manipulate my Doctors answers into something I wanted to hear. His words always meant the same thing..."You need a couple of months of bed rest and leg elavation after minimal up time." "After two months of best rest, with very little up time, your leg will heal fine" " It takes about two months of bed rest, for that kind of injury to heal"
"But I live alone, and do have responsibilities...feed the dog, myself and I have a pond. I have to feed my fish"
"Use your walker or these crutches....go back to bed and elevate, and when your done counting two months of hours while enduring the best rest...you can jump in and join the fish in your pond, if you'd like!'

Need some ropes. :goodnight:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Listen to the doc and take it easy or "yoooooooooooooou'll beeeeeeeeeeeeeee sooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
check out one of those helping hand places if they have them there .I know some are licensed through the counter here and all you have to do is pay them 25 dollars a week and the county picks up the rest if your over 55 and they do everything

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well I know 2 months (Lying in a bed/sitting around) sounds like 2 years but it will go real fast.
It goes faster if you don't think of it in hours or days think Vacation.
If the weather is nice Have your neighbor set up a couple of chairs as close to the pond as you can get get your crushes and go and sit you behind down with your leg up and enjoy the pond.

Your fish should not be eating much if anything right now.
If you need grocery's order online and get them delivered remember vacation no one on Vacation cooks :razz:

In joy your vacation
Dang maybe I need to get a fracture and get a vacation :razz: :razz:

Get well soon and sit your behind down :LOL:

Ruben

Reaction score
Hi everybody...
I went and stayed at my mothers place for a month, where I knew I would not be doing nothing but sitting on my butt. Actually did not trust myself at home alone. I've been home for a week and a half, and am totally overwhelmed with what needs to be done around here just to get back to normal.
I started physical therapy this week, 3 days a week at the aquatic center. Tomorrow I see the doctor again. I have been doing minor chores, like fixing meals and cleaning up afterwards.
My neighbor took care of the turtles, my dog and kept an eye on the pond for me. She even cleaned the debri from the skimmer and did a great job holding things together while I was recovering. I took a couple of pics to share. This is what my leg looked like the day I got home (one month after the injury....and still bruised)
The lump just below my knee is where the acual fracture is, but my leg, all the way down to my ankle, went through a series of different bruises. That finally all stopped. It looks pretty good, I think...even with that protruding deformity below my knee. The pics do look a bit better than what it really looks like.

injury 3 041.jpginjury 3 043.jpginjury 3 044.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You sound like me...........hard to ignore what needs to be done. Glad you are getting better, keep taking it easy, so happy your friends helped you out!

Ask a Question