Advice for pump and pre-pump filter

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by Sooner, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Sooner

Sooner

Rebuilding my pond. I am moving to a 300-400 gallon pond going 3' deep with a self made bio filter for the waterfall.

Question I have is regarding the type of pump and pre-filter I should use. Attached is a rough drawing over my existing pond with the idea. I plan to have the intake at 3' deep with the waterfall coming down in the 1-2' area.

Should I do an external pump, and what type of filter and where to put it? I currently use a standard pump and box filter from Lowe's.

Attached Files:

Sooner, Feb 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Sooner

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

That is going to look nice, is there enough room to hide a doc or skippy type 55 gallon filter behind those rocks? And be able to reach it easily. Check the diy section there is a lot of info on building filters that work well.

I like external pumps, some like submersible pumps. That will be your choice.

addy1, Feb 25, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Sooner

Sooner

Yes, there should be room for the skippy I am doing. I am only going to do a 20 gallon skippy given the size of the pond. currently there is a 3 step waterfall behind the pic I threw on top of that picture. I plan to just do a vertical waterfall drop into the pond once I move to a liner instead of a prefab pond. I just can't find good info on how to setup the prefilter and size pump I would need for this. Pond intake at 3' and the top of the bio filter will be say 2' above ground so I would need a pump that could push out the right amount for the 5' incline.

I know the biofilter should take 3 minutes for water to cycle through it too. My main concern is the pre-filter since i want the intake to suck out all the crap at the bottom. there will be no rocks or anything in the water.

Sooner, Feb 25, 2011
  4. Sooner

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I am sure someone will chime in, I don't use a pre filter so can't really help you. Just have a large bog. The pump needs to be sized to be able to circulate your water every 1 -- 1.5 hours. There are calculators on line that will help you with the gpm and the head you need.

addy1, Feb 25, 2011
  5. Sooner

sissy sissy

addy I don't use a prefilter either as it seems the pumps can handle most of what goes through them .I really don't think you should get any thing so big that you need a prefilter and they get so yucky and smelly I won't use them .And sooner your guest are going to be greeted nicely .I like that as you walk up that the sound will greet you first .Nice looking too .

sissy, Feb 26, 2011
  6. Sooner

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

i use prefilters, and a submersable pump myself, and have yet to find them smelly, yucky yes. but that just means theyre doing their job. my pump sits on a ledge right up under the waterfall. the prefilters are plumbed on 1&1/4" hose and they allow me to relocated them around the pond as i feel the want or neccessity . they increase the effectiveness of your filter by eliminating a great deal of the fecal/organic matter before even getting into the filter. i have mine tied to black nylon string so i can pull them close to the surface for easy removal and cleaning. when a pump pulls solids thru it, the impellor purees it and turns much of it to a semi liquid, and small particulates which are future DOCs.(dissolved organic comounds)

koiguy1969, Feb 26, 2011
  7. Sooner

Shdwdrgn

I've had a 250-300 gallon pond for about 5 years now with a 25-gallon skippy filter (half of a 55-gal barrel). I made sure to put a bottom drain in my barrel, and this has worked well over the years. I'll drain out the sludge about once a month (or once a week in the Fall), and the fish have done very well over the years.

On the other hand, since I'm planning a much larger pond now, I AM trying to incorporate a solids filter of some sort, just to help reduce the number of leaves left in the pond. I don't think you NEED a pre-filter in a smaller pond, but it certainly can't hurt.

Shdwdrgn, Feb 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question