Advice needed...moving fish [GF] out of holding tank and back into the pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
BACKGROUND: The pond is roughly 3000 - 3200 gals. Goldfish, tadpoles, plants. It has been under renovation, but hoping to be able to put the liner back in and fill it in the next week or so [depending on weather conditions as well as availability -- Hubby -- and cooperation -- teen-age son, LOL -- of my helpers].

When I emptied the pond over a month ago, I moved the fish to a 300 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank, and was able to move the Skippy filter, keeping the bio-media moist, aerated, and protected during the move. Did some modifications on the intake & output tubings, and was able to continue using the Skippy with the fish in their smaller container. I wasn't sure if this move would preserve the bio-media, but all has been great -- all water parameters have been normal with a trace of nitrates, easily controlled with water changes. Whew! Considering I pulled 30 GF of various sizes from the pond.....and they're now living in 300 gals.....with the 100 gal. Skippy, numerous air stones [in the tank and in the Skippy], and approx. 600 GPH of pump.

Once we get the pond filled, we're going to start work on the bog. It's eventually going to be the primary filtration, but for the time being we'll keep the Skippy going, as well.

NOW TO MY QUESTION: Not sure how to proceed from here.... Since I have a mature filter [with the exception of the good stuff on the liner :( ], as well as the mature water (400 gals), when I fill the pond back up, [will of course add a de-chlor], can I go ahead and re-connect the Skippy and add the fish right away?

And if not the best course of action, advice needed on how to proceed, in the best interest of the fish???

Going from 3000 gal. to 300 gal., the current bio-media has been adequate. But what about taking it from 300 gal. back up to 3000 gal?

SOME CONSIDERATIONS:
  • The last week in June I will be at Boy Scout camp and not home to monitor the pond personally -- though my son will be home and knows how to check the water, etc. He did that for me last summer, and did a good job. We stayed in touch daily, and the only problem encountered was the first [and so far only] GBH sighting.
  • Son would be able to monitor the pond, if I went ahead and put the fish in.
  • Had considered running a fishless cycle, leaving the fish in the 300 gal. tank a little longer. But how much monitoring & maintenance is required, and is it something my son [he's 19] could watch over while I'm gone?
  • No matter which route I choose, there's still going to be that week where I won't be there.....

Reaction score
Yes, you certainly can. Your filter contains all the biobugs needed to eat the ammonia your fish produce. It makes no difference how big the pond is. (Actually that's not completely true. It's more challenging to a filter to handle the same number of fish in a smaller container, which your filter did..) If you increase the number of fish, you may want to make another filter in the future.

Please don't use the "mature water." The biobugs live on surfaces, not in the water. Goldfish are not bothered by moving to clean water although they may not like it if the pH is different. Fill the pond with clean water, check the pH in the tank and the pond. If they are within a half pH unit of one another, just move the fish to the pond. If not, report back for suggestions. :)

Reaction score
Agreed. You have another thread aski.g how long it will take the pond to cycle. I said maybe a month not knowing you had a cycled Skippy filter. The fish will be much better off in the pond. Ten times as much water and the filter is cycled. Try to keep temperature and ph close when transferring.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I pretty much agree, You will still see some fluctuations while new surfaces produce bio-film, You will have some small spikes just because so much will ne new, but If the filter is handling the load now it will be able to handle the load well enough to keep ammonia and nitrites within safe ranges. Don't add any new load until the pond has been running for a month or more though.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Shak & Diesel!!

Yes, the Skippy is mature -- I was very careful to maintain that during the transfer.

So basically all I really need to do is move the fish (from 300g tank to 3000g pond). Don't worry about the water, except for making sure the pH is OK, and water is de-chlorinated. Set the Skippy up to start back at the same time as I add the fish so there's no loss of continuity with the bio-bugs.....

And I assume, just the usual monitoring of water parameters, as well as routine water changes?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I pretty much agree, You will still see some fluctuations while new surfaces produce bio-film, You will have some small spikes just because so much will ne new, but If the filter is handling the load now it will be able to handle the load well enough to keep ammonia and nitrites within safe ranges. Don't add any new load until the pond has been running for a month or more though.
Thanks, Larkin!

You know guys, I sorta felt like this was the best route, but guess I had to hear it from other people. The "fishless cycling" was just a back shelf option in case I had to start over!

I'm gonna miss having the fish in the Rubbermaid, though :( As it is now, I can view them up close and personal, and can really appreciate their beauty and gracefulness -- especially when they pop their heads up in my face and say, "Oh good! You're back to feed me again, stupid human!"

Oh, did I never tell you that my fish talk..... Ha, ha, hee, hee, ho, ho....

Ask a Question