Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey - recently new to the pond world, we have 2 shubunkin 2 gold and 2 lemon in a small pond - recently notice that one of them has a injury on his side and is smaller than the others - is there anything we can do to help him? And is it normal for “bullies” to form? Feel like he’s being picked on ... and advice welcome thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey, Kirsty! Hello and welcome!

As much as we would like to help you, we really need more information from you about your pond and the set up. How “small” is your pond — size, dimensions, depth, gallons....? Do you have a pump and filter? How long have you had the pond? Can you describe the “injury” for us....what does it look like, how long has it been there, how is the fish acting?

In my [limited] experience, I haven’t seen anything that I would call bullying behavior with GF (not that it doesn’t happen), but my first thought was that your fish might be spawning. Males can get quite aggressive and can actually injure the female.

Pictures of the fish might help, as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could be from spawning but agree more info needed like filter and test kit use .Ammonia level could be up and how old is the pond before putting fish in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had the fish for two weeks now - everything was checked and confirmed with the place we bought the fish to make sure t was ready - the other fish seem to be growing and happy just this little guy has something on his side and is slower and a bit of a loner - can get more info from my dad as it’s his pond - I’m just learning from him -

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 219

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-14_9-0-7.gif
@Kirsty Can't really see the bump on the fish and I don't know much about fish diseases. It could have somehow been injured tho. Neat looking pond set up w/a viewing window below it looks like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @Kirsty, are you talking about the large white patch with the red ring around it? I’m not a fish disease expert but it could very well be a fungal infection. Does it appear raised and fuzzy like cotton??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @Kirsty, are you talking about the large white patch with the red ring around it? I’m not a fish disease expert but it could very well be a fungal infection. Does it appear raised and fuzzy like cotton??

Yea that’s a good way of Describing it - anything I can do?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Do you have a seperate tank or tub you can put the fish in to treat it? If you have a spare 10 gallon or 20 gallon tank or tub that will make dosing a whole lot easier and cheaper since you'll be using a lot less medication. Also, you would want to identify the possible cause of the fungal infection. Most often the cause of many fish diseases or illnesses is poor water quality (i.e. too much ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates). Water quality should not be confused with water clarity, it is quite possible to have crystal clear water but be poor in quality. I recommend that you get a liquid/drop test kit, most of us use the API freshwater master test kit, and test the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH as soon as possible. As far as treating the fungal infection goes I've had some success with a product called Pimafix by API. Others might suggest doing "baths" in a product that contains methylene blue or malachite green but i've personally never used those products.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Good advice up there^^^

Ask a Question