Advice needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So my pond was filled for the first time around June 16th. Put some plants in a week later. 4 goldfish a week after that. I’ve gone through what seems like multiple cycles of green water each week. It turns into a see through green, then a couple days later the green tint is gone but it seems dirty/cloudy. I only feed the fish a small bit once a day and they eat every ounce of what I put in.

Hyacinth have quadrupled in size and bloomed today. Iris bloomed earlier this week. Two of the goldfish have practically doubled in size. Everything seems great and happy.....except for the water. Is it just too soon to expect a new pond to clear up? I don’t need to see the bottom, I like a little mystery, but even when not green it just looks so dirty. I pull the filters in the skimmer weekly to rinse and they always have brown funk on them. The filter pads in the waterfall box have lots of brown funk but I haven’t rinsed those at all. The water in the skimmer box always looks way dirty.

So—should I clean the filter pads in the waterfall box too? Or will I lose ground with bacteria? Should I close up the skimmer box and pump out the dirty water in there and try to get ahead that way? Should I just have a beer and enjoy the pond and be patient instead?

I’ll post some pics for reference. Please don’t mock my waterfall—I don’t like how it looks and don’t know what to do yet to make it better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here are some pics for reference

Attachments

• C77ACF8C-7DE4-4CAB-B665-210C7CFDDDFF.jpeg
    C77ACF8C-7DE4-4CAB-B665-210C7CFDDDFF.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 321
  • 484EB465-4E89-47AB-B0FD-9C0C586130A7.jpeg
    484EB465-4E89-47AB-B0FD-9C0C586130A7.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 7E7F2629-7274-43DE-8DBF-A33AB9D53627.jpeg
    7E7F2629-7274-43DE-8DBF-A33AB9D53627.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 28830AE0-3F84-4B04-B3F8-532B93314F3B.jpeg
    28830AE0-3F84-4B04-B3F8-532B93314F3B.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 323
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - too soon. Expect the entire first year to be a lot of up and down.

I'm guessing a lot of what is making the water look dirty is... dirt. Dirt gets in during construction, rocks are dirty, plants have dirt on them - it's a dirty business building a pond! How about a DIY fines filter - some kind of basket with quilt batting in it that you pump water into and let it flow back into the pond. Your waterfall set up as it currently is would actually facilitate that. Get one of those milk crates or a small laundry basket, line it with quilt batting and let the water flow through. Be prepared for lots of rinsing or replacing of the batting. But you'll get rid of a lot of what is making the water look dirty. Your water is probably dirty all the time - you just can't see it when it's green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Should I rinse the filter pad in the waterfall box (also have bio balls in there) since they are so dirty or let them be?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Cute pond!

My two cents. Keep up with cleaning the skimmer like you are. Don't rinse the bio balls in the waterfall box, and only rinse the pad sparingly (and if possible, rinse it with pond water or dechlorinated water somewhere away from the pond). You're right, you want to retain the good bacteria.

While your hyacinth are spreading, you still have lots of surface exposed to direct sunlight. I'd suggest shading more of the surface with lily pads or other plant cover. The shade will help reduce the algae, and the plants will suck up the nutrients the algae feed on.

Avoid chemical treatments at all costs. Crack that beer and sit back until it clears up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh, and I forgot to mention.... I have enough room in my filter falls that I top it off with a finer filter media pad, along with a couple thicknesses of quilt batting. Held down with the filter's top grate and a rock. They get dirty fast, but I can easily pluck them out, rinse them, and pop them right back in without disturbing my bio media. (I buy the filter media by the roll for cheap on Amazon, and just cut what I need.)

Maybe something to consider if you have a similar set up...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haha, Agree with all the above advice. It's very difficult for new ponders because they want to show it off to family and friends....... but the less you do the better off your pond and fish will be!!! Crack open a beer and sooner or later it will clear up without any help from you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice hyacinth blooms! You may have seen another thread in which people are lamenting never having them. I have a few per year.

I did see that thread, so I was pretty surprised to come home from work and see the blooms.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I too have a new pond this year and after only buying a dozen plants 6 hyacinth and 6 lettuce. they to exploded to the point I just pulled out literally two big rubber maid 55 gallon barrels full. But that's what you want the plants eat up the phosphate and nitrates so when you pull the plants out you pulled out the same which controlls the levels

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was at a local nursery this week and they had Lilly pads....$30! Maybe I’ll just pick up some more hyacinth. I’d like to try water lettuce but can’t find any around here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's a pretty typical price for a waterlily. Check your local Craigslist for people looking to share - when it's time to divide lilies, many people are just looking for a good home to give them away to!

Ask a Question